Hosting Moodle...help

Hosting Moodle...help

by Federica Oradini -
Number of replies: 1

I would like to set up a chemistry "course" using Moodle. I even bought a book. We've installed it on our computer at home and just by playing around with the buttons we managed to put something together.

I am not sure how much I understand about it but Moodle comes with Apache and MySQL. We would like to make this site available on the internet. Now in order to do that I think Moodle needs to be installed on a pc that had a Moodle "interpreter"...so if I install Apache on my home pc and move all the Moodle files into a www folder, my home pc would act as a server? Correct? What else do we need? What about the IP address? Do we have to buy one? Do you know any good website?

If I dont install Apache on my home PC what options do I have? Do I have to find an ISP that has a Moodle "interpreter" installed on it? Do I still have to buy an IP address?

Thanks very much for your help

Federica

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Federica Oradini

Re: Hosting Moodle...help

by Art Lader -
Hi, Federica,

The Moodle interpretrr is PHP.  If you have the budget for it, the best solution by far, IMHO, is to have a Moodle Partner set you up. If that is too expensive for you, there are other inexpensive hosts that could work for you. some people are very happy with this one: http://www.opensourcehost.com/.

I hope that helps a little.

-- Art