Make a public course visible in My Courses for all students.

Make a public course visible in My Courses for all students.

by Mauro Ramón -
Number of replies: 7

Hi there.

I searched (a lot) for a way to make visible a course for all students, enrolled or unenrolled ones.
In My Courses page, as soon as students log in, they should be able to see it.

The Moodle version is 3..6, and we are using Fordson theme 3.6.2

Any help, is welcome!!!

Regards, Mauro Ramon. (AR)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mauro Ramón

Re: Make a public course visible in My Courses for all students.

by Mauro Ramón -

More info:
- The course is set to PUBLIC

- Anyone can access the course as GUEST

Another way to explain the problem is:
"anyone that logs in the platform as GUEST, when arriving to the Front Page, they don´t see anything at all. No courses, no nothing."

In reply to Mauro Ramón

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hola Mauro,

Just putting in my two cents here, but have you checked whether: 

• the course is set to visible
  • the course start date is before today
  • the guest access enrollment method has been enabled for said course

And have you set up your Fordson site front page to display any courses or categories there?

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mauro Ramón -

Hi Joost,

Moodle has been changing from 2.3.1 to the actual version... I remember that we can easily use "featured courses" back then... but when the frontpage evolve, that featured was dismissed or maybe had evolved to something between the front slider or the marketing pad (both present in Fordson).

Anyway thanks, We will try the solution that Mary gave (look further to the bottom).
Regards, 
M.

In reply to Mauro Ramón

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Guest access and allowing anyone to access the course does not enrol someone in it.

A course will only show in My Courses if a student is actually enrolled in it. That’s by design - that list is supposed to be a filtered list of courses that are relevant to a user rather than them always seeing the entire list of courses that might be available on the site.

You may need the Autoenrol plugin or something similar. See https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_auto for more info.

You could create a cohort and enrol the cohort into the course, but you’ll still need a way of adding people to the cohort when their account is created so the Autoenrol plugin is probably your best option.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want them to see it and it is ok for them to have guest access (ie, you do not need them to actually participate on any activities ) then you could create a label with the link to the course and add it to the front page or the Dashboard for all users.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mauro Ramón -

Thanks a lot, Mary. Will try, and post the results (if we succeed , of course) smile
Regards, M.

EDIT: Indeed you were absolutely right!! Your solution works like a charm. As soon as we apply it to our platform, I will post a screen capture and the procedure in detail.

Pardon my english: you rock!

Thanks a lot, yours:
Mauro Ramon

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mauro Ramón -
Interesting observation. Will give it a try, but we must evaluate the plugin option. I mean, we have to check if the feature does not compromise users handling or maintenance... 
Thanks! 
M.