New resource type - simple presentations

Re: New resource type - simple presentations

by Dan Stowell -
Number of replies: 19
Attached is a version of slideshow updated slightly - I've added some instructions directly into the edit page, and I've also added a "tidy-up" function that allows me to copy-and-paste directly from PowerPoint's "outline" view, into the HTML editor, and instantly produce a (simplified) slideshow.

I'm not sure if this works on all platforms or on all versions of PowerPoint. Any testers?
In reply to Dan Stowell

by J B -
This looks very interesting and I would be keen to try it, as a lot of our users are "powerpointy-headed" but am guessing that, resource type or not, it will conflict with the "slideshow" activity module we are using, demo visible here and downloadable here: zip.gif slideshow.zip

The functionality is somewhat different, as I wrote this module last year (original thread here, although the module has developed since) primarily to help tutors who had directories full of raw digital photographs that they wanted to display, so the idea was to make numerous large images easily navigable and bandwidth-friendly within reason, and captioning was added as a bit of an afterthought. However, it would be nice to be able to offer a resource more targetted to pp-style presentations, especially with this direct "tidy-up" option.
In reply to J B

by Will Taylor -
The Demo is "currently unavailable to students".
I'd love to see it, can it be opened up for access?
thanks - will
In reply to Will Taylor

by J B -
Apologies - fixed that, you will need to log in as guest.
In reply to J B

by Art Lader -
Wow, James,

That is GREAT!

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by J B -
Thanks Art,

we aim to please!

James
In reply to J B

by Ernesto Gaston Pacheco -

James it worked perfect!! Thanks. I did the translation into Spanish so if you want to add it to the Lang´s, I send it here.

Please let us know when you upgrade the module (if you do).  I find it great automatic resizing and that one can add pictures to the slideshow even after it is done, just by dropping a new jpg image in the directory!!. smile Gastón

In reply to Ernesto Gaston Pacheco

by J B -
Ernesto

Many thanks for your translation into Spanish, this is now in the zip. big grin I am glad the module works for you, it was always meant to be user-friendly rather than technically impressive. The most recent code update was the 9 May 2006, when I removed a bug from the backup/restore function.

Latest version is always available here:

zip.gif slideshow.zip
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to J B

by Ernesto Gaston Pacheco -

James,

Hi!! Here I am again, I am using slideshow a lot.  Is there any newer version?
If there is please send it and I wil gladly translate the new messages.

I am having a problem with the captions, when I write themn using accents like á é í or Ñ ñ etc. I get rubbish after saving and If I use the html "&aacute" for example it one works one time then it dissapears.

Kind regards. smile

In reply to Ernesto Gaston Pacheco

by J B -
Hi Gaston

I don't know which version you are using - the latest version (2006082800) may have solved your problem.
I did try with those characters and they all worked fine for me on this version, but there may be server related character type issues. The latest version is always at http://virtual.cornwall.ac.uk/downloads/slideshow.zip and the main discussion for this module is at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38935

If the latest version does not solve your problem please let me know and I'll see what I can do
In reply to Dan Stowell

by Jan Dierckx -

Dan,

Thanks for your help.

• You are right. I somehow uploaded the readme of another module. mixed I have uploaded a correct readme in CVS. You can find it here

• I would really like to add your instructions to this module. I however need some time to change them into language strings. (otherwise the hardcoded strings mess up the Dutch instructions I have on my site.) When I am finished, I will surely add it to CVS.

• Not sure about the tidy up function. I thought this module would be used to quickly convert an outline to a webbased presentation and then maybe afterwards take that outline an convert it to a real powerpoint with animations and the like... I hadn't imagined people using it in the opposite direction. Does the added variable break existing resources which don't have the variable? I will do some testing.

• About the name. I named it like that because the origin of this resource type is S5, a Simple Standards-Based Slide Show System, but then I somehow started writing about presentations in the documentation. Hence the confusion. However, I don't know how to change the name inside CVS. Sorry about that.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Tahir Akhtar -

I am getting following error when I choose Make a Presentation

<>Fatal error>: Call to undefined function print_visible_setting() in C:\websites\lms\mod\resource\type\slideshow\slideshow.html on line 125

on a moodle 1.4.3+ (2004083131)

In reply to Tahir Akhtar

by Jan Dierckx -

Sorry, the documentation should state more clearly that this resource type only works with Moodle >1.5
Upgrading your moodle should fix this.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Tahir Akhtar -

Yes, I tried on a 1.5 and it works fine. There are some glitches though but I think they relate to underlying S5

• IE 6.0.29.... : First slide's headind appears in content area
  • Firefox 1.5.0.1: Text and heading keep changing places as I move back and forth on same set of slides.

Also if we don't choose new window option then there is no way to get back to the course, i-e without playing with the URL.

Excellent contribution however... I plan to be a heavy user of this.

The installation note say that it is not ready for production yet. Any plans to be shared?

I may be able to share in few cents of my programing knowledge if required...

Regards

Tahir Akhtar

In reply to Tahir Akhtar

by Jan Dierckx -

if we don't choose new window option then there is no way to get back to the course

Normally there is a link at the left side of the bottom of the page which takes you back to the course. Does it work?

The glitches are indeed caused by the underlying S5. My knowledge of CSS and javascript is very limited. That's why I can't really tell what is causing this. If you would care to help with that this would be fine.

Dan Stowell already made some modifications. Please download his version and continue with that. Unfortunately I can't directly upload his version to CVS because it contains some hardcoded English text that will show up on my (otherwise Dutch) site. I haven't yet had the time to convert them to language strings.

I'm not sure how this resource type will behave when upgrading to Moodle 1.6. If you want to be on the safe side, there is always the option to make your presentation with an HTML editor and include Eric Meyer's S5 script inside the HTML file. Then you can upload these files as normal HTML pages.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Tahir Akhtar -

OK there's a link in bottom left corner of page with course name and it do take us back to the course. But appearance of this link is not suggestive of its behavior. I never thought it is a link before you pointed out. Can we make its appearance more like a link.

It would also be helpful to change the text of link from "<course name>" to "go back to <course name>".

Popup window would have been fine with me if I could control the position of it on the screen. Currently we can control the size but not the location.

I have moderate skill in JavaScript programming but whenever I hear "browser compatibility", i shudder and start googling for a cross-browser JavaScript library. I feel that the problem might be more related to the way different browser handles CSS styles then the JavaScript.

I will be googling about the S5's compatibility with Mozilla and Firefox. If this is really a known issue we might find some concrete solutions out there.

Regards

Tahir 

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Tahir Akhtar -

Also I would second the tidy-up function for copy-pasting ppt outlines. This would be imensely useful IMO.

Regards

Tahir Akhtar

In reply to Tahir Akhtar

by Jan Dierckx -

Then Dan's changes should definitely be included.

In reply to Dan Stowell

by Christopher Sanderson -

I was curious to know if their is a way to add slide shows and voice. Similar to the features within ppt today with your code?

Cb Sanderson

In reply to Christopher Sanderson

by Jan Dierckx -

It is based on Eric Meyer's S5 format, it's just like a normal HTML resource but with some CSS and javascript added to it, to make every heading display like a separate sheet. It's more like a quick way of showing some ideas, hence the name: simple presentation, someone even suggested quick presentation.

As such you can add all things you can add to a normal resource. I think it is possible to add a flash sound player, but I know of no way to synchronize the sound with the slides.

I don't know of a way to add slide transition effect.