No. But there is a workround
- In 3.1, with editing turned on, you will see a plus and minus button at the bottom right of the topics.
- Click on the plus button to create an extra topic at the bottom of your course
- Move your book into that extra topic
- Right click on the book and copy the link address
- Create a URL Resource where the Book originally was
- Paste the link address into the URL resource
- Select Appearance > Display: In pop-up
- Remove* the extra topic at the the bottom of your course by clicking on the minus button. It will then show as Orphaned Activities
*Remove it! Do not delete it or hide it.
From Moodle 3.3 onwards you can put any activity or resource into “stealth mode” to achieve this same effect in a more officially-supported way. See https://docs.moodle.org/en/Stealth_activities for more info.