overwrite duplicate uploads, don't back them up.

overwrite duplicate uploads, don't back them up.

by Brian Jones -
Number of replies: 4
Hi all!

I'm running 1.5.3+ and I thought there was a way to do something that is currently not happening mixed

When I create an assignment of type uploadsingle, I only ever want ONE file to exist in the user's directory. I'd like to allow them to keep uploading files until the deadline, but those subsequent uploads should *overwrite* (ie, effectively "update") the file that's already there, instead of moving the existing file to "filename_1".

Can someone remind me how this is accomplished? I can't find the check box!

Thanks,
brian.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Jones

Re: overwrite duplicate uploads, don't back them up.

by Brian Jones -
I found it. I was playing with the code and had changed a "handle_file_collisions" parameter to "true". 
In reply to Brian Jones

by Ben Arguilla -
Brian, I too have the same problem with resubmitting an assignment with the SAME file name, it won't copy over it. I tried changing "handle_file_collisions" to "true" with no luck. However, if I upload a different file name, it will replace the current assignment. It looks like Moodle looks at the file name and if it is the same, it is assuming it is the same exact file. I would like my students to use the same file name every time they upload to the same assignment.

I've been using the following site to try and figure it out - no luck.

http://xref.moodle.org/nav.html?_functions/index.html

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

smile
In reply to Brian Jones

by john smith -

Hi Brian

I don't have any coding knowledge.  Do you know if there is a way of accomplishing what you have done from the interface?  We have a problem with re-submissions not overwriting the originals?  Any pointers much appreciated.

John

In reply to john smith

by Brian Jones -
I think when you set up the assignment there's an option that toggles this on or off. I want to say the option is "Allow Resubmit", but I'm not sure.

I remember being quite confused about how to get this to work. It didn't seem intuitive to me, so my recommendation is to click on every question mark you see in the assignment setup screens.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
brian.