I have been leading work on Badges at Moodle HQ for a few weeks now with the main aim to add support for Badgr (https://badgr.io/) since the Mozilla Backpack (https://backpack.openBadges.org/) site will be retired and Badgr will be the replacement.
The Badges code so far looks really good and I appreciate all the time and effort that has brought it up to this point. The work on updating to the Open Badges 2.0 API that was added for 3.6 was a useful start.
A list of the big changes that are due to land in Badges for 3.7:
1. Badgr - MDL-63262
- Add support for the site backpack to be specified so a Moodle site can communicate with Badgr or Mozilla Backpack
- Refactoring to move classes (renderables, forms, backpack API) each into their own separate files under the core_badges namespace.
- Include changes to the coding style to bring it more up to date with https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Coding_style
- Admin settings to configure the backpack
- Extending the backpack API class to define the list of functions supported by each backpack and define a mapping for data going into and out of each backpack request
- New list of exporters that can export data required for a backpack request, or import the data returned from a backpack request
2. Upgrades - also MDL-63262
- For existing sites already connected to the Open Badges backpack, no changes will happen until the site backpack is changed to Badgr. After changing the site backpack, each user's Badges already connected to the Open Badges backpack will not change immediately. They will see a warning saying they need to disconnect and reconnect to the backpack which will ask for their Badgr connection details. Once each user is connected to Badgr they will be able to publish Badges to Badgr and list the Badges in their public Badge collections from the Badgr site.
3. Add real support for Moodle competencies - MDL-63876
- Rename Badges "competencies" to "external alignments" (as per the specification)
- Add support for Moodle competencies as a criterion for a Badge.
4. Improve Badges privacy export - MDL-64702
- Extend the privacy export to include the related Badges in a privacy export.
There is a demo site that is connected to Badgr.io and is viewable here:
The login details are on the front page and this site can be used to award badges and publish them to the backpack. This is a demo site and will be periodically reset.