Windows Shares on a Repository

Windows Shares on a Repository

by Mahmood Ali -
Number of replies: 2

Would it be possible to create a repository that links to another folder on the same disk, outside of the Moodle installation folder. 

e.g. 

Moodle Repository Path C:\WEB\server\moodledata\repository\

Folder which you want a Repository for, stored on C:\Shares\StudentShared\

Is there a way to link that, so that there isn't a duplicate of the same files on the server?

If so let me know, help is appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahmood Ali

Re: Windows Shares on a Repository

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Don't use Windows, but the following works on linux ... see no reason it shouldn't also on Windows.

Turn on File System repo in Moodle and choose settings for who can create, etc.

Then in moodledata/repository directory create an 'alias/symlink' (guess it's still called 'shortcut' in Windows) in that repo directory by a shortname {studentshare) that points to C:\Shares\StudentShared\

Those can be seen in Moodle but not uploaded to in Moodle.   All that can see at that level can see *all* - but up to OS operating system privs at that point.   Might see and be able to access others files to download so go slow and check out what users can see/do. smile

If your web service is set to follow symlinks don't ever erase the alias/symlink via web service ... remove the shortcut/alias/symlink via command line.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Windows Shares on a Repository

by Mahmood Ali -

I've tried creating a shortcut in the repositories directory. It doesn't show up, when I insert the shortcut into a Repository Directory, it shows up as a *.ink file.