How can I simply make courses derive from one basic course?

How can I simply make courses derive from one basic course?

by Miki Alliel -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Translators

Hello

We have  Moodle  3.5

Can I make one basic course that have a lot of contents (activities and resources), this course is duplicated to 10 courses (let's say) and each change in any content from the basic course will change it in all  other 10 courses. 

How can implement it in moodle?

I want to separate the courses because they are independent courses (each course has different teachers and different students) they can hide or show  whatever they want but the contents (activities and recourses) created in the basic course.

Is there any way to do it?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miki Alliel

Re: How can I simply make courses derive from one basic course?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You can just use Backup and Restore to replicate a course as many times as you need. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

Thanks, Yes I know.

But we want to change something (content, resource, activity) in the basic course and automatically will change in  all other 10 courses.

In reply to Miki Alliel

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

With the caveat that I have never used it myself... you might want to check if this does the job... https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sharing_cart

In reply to Howard Miller

by Miki Alliel -
Picture of Translators

I know this block of course, but this is still 10 time (even more if I have more courses like that)  copying an activity ...

I guess there is no solution as I describe with will do it automatically.

Thanks anywyay

In reply to Miki Alliel

by Howard Miller -

Might have saved some time/typing if you'd described what you'd already tried wink

In reply to Miki Alliel

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Miki,

To my knowledge, this is not how Moodle works. While there are many ways of creating duplicates of courses (using Import or upload courses + 'templatecourse' field being my favorites), there's no automated script updating the course content in copies when something is updated in the Master version of it.

One of the reasons why this should be avoided, in my opinion, is the fact that you don't swap textbooks or tests while your learners are using it, but instead modify your course content and layout after carefully evaluating it's last run. This prevents a lot of unrest among your teaching staff and students/learners.

Most activities (with completion enabled) for instance, are locked for any changes that might affect overall course completion for users. The questions associated with a quiz can't be modified in the quiz itself, in terms of text and answers after attempts have been registered for it.

That being said, you can duplicate a master course infinitely through Upload courses with a CSV that contains the 'templatecourse' field pointing to the master course's short name. Depending on how complex your master course is, this can be a bit of a stretch for most Moodle servers, but it is probably the best way of creating a large number of duplicates. 

Average of ratings: Useful (3)