Assignment - visible or separate groups

Assignment - visible or separate groups

by Frank Koch -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Plugin developers

This was discussed in the locked https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=141898 already. Mary commented:

"... With pupils if it's set to separate groups they don't know which other groups are doing the assignment whereas in visible groups, they do. ...".

I tested assignment under Moodle 3.6 with "group mode" set to "visible" and to "separate". The option "Students submit in groups" is set to "yes". I cannot see any difference in the student view. I would have expected that students can see the submission of other groups if set to "visible" but in fact they can see their own submission only. Within the assignment students cannot see anything about other groups.

Am I missing something? I don't see the purpose of this option.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Frank Koch

Re: Assignment - visible or separate groups

by REMI PICARD (substitute) -

hello Frank,

i have the opposite problem !

i want the student to ONLY see their own submission not all the groups one !

my option is "Students submit in groups : yes "  too .... . i can't find the way to turn it off.

shall you help to find where the option "group mode" set to "visible"   is  ?

thank you for your time.

In reply to REMI PICARD (substitute)

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi pierre, you got your answer in your own thread already.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=384631

Hi Frank,

"Group visibility" and "Submission in group" are totally separate things.

"Group visibility" in assignment has no effect on individual students. Students can only see their own submission, ALWAYS. No matter your Group Mode is No/Separate/Visible

The Group Mode in Assignment is for Teachers ONLY. When a teacher marks the student submissions, they can filter by groups (Separate or Visible has no difference for a teacher's view).

When "Submission in group" set to YES, you will see this warning below, if you haven't assign every student into a unique group yet.

A student can see other's submission (ONLY one submission actually) in their own group.  Still, no matter your Group Mode is visible or separate, they can NOT see other groups anyway. Again, the Group Mode in Assignment is for Teachers ONLY.

I am not 100% sure about this, please correct me if you have tested these features.

In reply to William Lu

by Frank Koch -

Thank you for the answer William, but I am sorry to say, that it still doesn't explain the phenomenon. My objective is to have students submitting as a group while being able to see the submissions of other groups. There are 2 settings, I believe. If independent or not, I am not sure:

Students submit in groups {NO, Yes}

Help-Text: If enabled students will be divided into groups based on the default set of groups or a custom grouping. A group submission will be shared among group members and all members of the group will see each others changes to the submission.

I can confirm that this setting works. If one member of a group makes the submission it is considered a submission for all group members. Perfect!

Group mode: {NO GROUPS, separate groups, visible groups}

Help-Text: This setting has 3 options:
1) No groups
2) Separate groups - Each group member can only see their own group, others are invisible
3) Visible groups - Each group member works in their own group, but can also see other groups
The group mode defined at course level is the default mode for all activities within the course. Each activity that supports groups can also define its own group mode, though if the group mode is forced at course level, the group mode setting for each activity is ignored.

This help-text doesn't mention anything about "teachers ONLY" as you say, and in fact there is no change in the teachers view whether is is set to visible or separate.

Unfortunately, there is also no change in the students view. I tested an assignment with {Students submit in groups = Yes; Group mode = visible groups} and an assignment with {Students submit in groups = Yes; Group mode = separate groups} but i cannot see any difference in the students view. Even with visible groups students cannot see the work of other groups. My tests contradict the help-text "Visible groups - Each group member works in their own group, but can also see other groups".

I'm probably missing somethin here. Could somebody please explain or give me the settings needed to have students submitting as a group while being able to see the submissions of other groups? Thank you very much.

In reply to Frank Koch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think students can ever see the submissions of other groups. Visible groups means that if they go to the Participants link, they will be able to see the existence in the course of other groups apart from their own. But they will not see the group submissions.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Frank Koch -

Thank you Mary and William. What do you mean by "Participants link"? Group mode is a setting within an assignment and doens't control whether students can see the groups in the participants list (https://website/user/index.php).

I understand that I cannot enable students to see other groups commitment. Too bad, but ok. However, I still cannot figure out what this "group mode" is good for and I find the help-text "Visible groups - Each group member works in their own group, but can also see other groups"  quite mis-leading.

In reply to Frank Koch

by William Lu -

Hi Frank,

Davo has answered your question.

There is a link in the block called 'Participants" users can click on it to see who is in the course.

If the Group Mode is visible or Separate, then, users can see a drop-down menu with group names in it.

The best example to use the Group Mode is in the forum. 

To achieve what you want, you can ask your student to attach their assignment file to a post, then you will be able to see how Visible/Separate control how many posts you can see.

Another module which you can use is the Powerful Database activity. Students can upload a file, or files to the Database and Teacher and students can comment on each other. (warning: There is a learning curve in the Database module, if you have any question, you can ask in the Database forum)

Both Forum and Database can be Graded and can show the features of the Group Mode perfectly.

Oh, do you know the Workshop module? The workshop activity is designed for the students to peer review, it worth for you to try.

In reply to Frank Koch

by William Lu -

You didn't miss anything.

Group mode in assignment has NO effect on the teachers' view, has NO effect on student's view either.

The Group mode in assignment might be used for "Restrict Access" settings or something else, but nothing about View for any role.

Whatever "Group mode" or "Students submit in groups" settings are not able to allow students to see other group's submission anyway, Sadly sad 

In reply to Frank Koch

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

To be fair, the group mode descriptions are the same descriptions for all activities that support groups, they are not specific to the assignment activity type (which is why they don't specifically mention teacher access for this activity).

For a student or a teacher with the 'access all groups' capability the group settings don't make a huge amount of difference for the assignment (I assume you can filter the list of student by group, but that's probably about it).

For a teacher without 'access all groups', the visibility of groups would make a difference to which students they are able to see submissions for (I'm assuming here, I haven't put together a scenario to test it).

If you need an activity where students can submit as groups and see other groups' work, then, unfortunately, assignments is not what you are looking for. There may be something out there that does exactly what you want, or you may have to look at paying someone to develop something to do exactly what you want (and then, optionally, making it available via the Moodle plugins database for other people who want something similar).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Davo. Useful post.

However, are you sure about group submissions? I think that was added moderately recently, and now works.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tim,

Do you mean that there is a new feature that allows users to view assignment submissions from different groups?

I'm aware of the 'submit as group' feature (where everyone in a single group has access to, and shares responsibility for their group's submission), although my comments were focusing on the more generic 'group' setting that appears on the assignment (the one which is available in lots of other activities).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I just mean the group submission thing.

In reply to William Lu

by REMI PICARD (substitute) -

thank you for your help but i solve my problem.

in fact, once the submission in group mode is activated and someone already make an submission , you cannot desable it later...

even when your delete all submissions and reset the activity, the option is still locked. maybe a bug ?

so i just create another blank activity assignment and start something new and clean with no group submission.