Blank PDFs after unoconv crash - can anything be done?

Blank PDFs after unoconv crash - can anything be done?

by heli g -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 3.5.3

unoconv crashed - it is working now, but we have 100s of assignments, which were uploaded prior to the fix, that have not been converted to PDF.

I have encountered this before, but I thought this issue had been resolved by MDL-56122 Force reload/recreation of (unoconv) preview in grading interface...

I have been trawling the forums and tracker in an attempt to find a solution - but see most requesting help are unanswered. Some say the faulty PDFs are stuck in perpetuity. Some are deleting files from moodledata - but what files? Where? 

Someone else said truncating the mdl_file_conversion table would force Moodle to trigger file conversion on clicking Grade...

There are 4393 records in mdl_file_conversion, 3477 of these have the status -1 - am I correct in presuming that this means a failed conversion? Does 2 mean success? (the stausmessage field is empty).

222 records have a NULL value for converter, the others contain \fileconverter_unoconv\converter 

Can I safely delete these records? If so, will an annotate PDF preview be generated? Or are these blank documents stuck in Moodle with nothing to be done?

Does MDL-56122 not work with 3.5? How is it triggered? With this  \core_files\task\conversion_cleanup_task ?

Please assist - I see many others in this forum need some guidance.

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to heli g

Re: Blank PDFs after unoconv crash - can anything be done?

by heli g -

Update:

Since posting the above, spot check shows a number of assignments that were not converted have been, the number of records with the status of -1 has been reduced to 1153, and the number with the status 2 is now 2776. There are 349 rows where the converter field is NULL. (There are strangely fewer records in mdl_file_conversion (3929 - down from 4393?)).

So I presume MDL-56122 is indeed working - somehow, slowly.

In addition: Since upgrading to 3.5.5 and there is now a helpful message - that flashes briefly - where file conversion has not occurred: