Submitting a password protected file

Submitting a password protected file

by Memona Salahuddin -
Number of replies: 8

We are Using Moodle 3.2. Is there any way that Student can submit a Password protected file in the assignment and the teacher is able to open the file on the Assignment grading page. I have tried several times but unable to open it on the grading screen.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Memona Salahuddin

Re: Submitting a password protected file

by ben reynolds -

What purpose does the password serve? Since the student's uploaded file is visible only to the student and the teacher, I do not see a need for password protection.

In general, a student submits a file (for example a Word .docx) and the assignment module will open it for the teacher as a .pdf that can  be annotated. But, this does not work "out of the box." You need ghostscript and unoconv see
https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Using_Assignment#Annotating_submissions

Good luck!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to ben reynolds

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

RE: "Since the student's uploaded file is visible only to the student and the teacher"

That's not exactly accurate as the Administrator an see it and any other user with the correct capabilities.  Also at a system level, anybody with read access to the Moodledata folder.  And if you've been silly enough, with a web accessible site, placed the Moodledata folder where the web server can serve it, anybody with internet access on the planet.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Memona Salahuddin -

Thanks for replying, and asking what purpose does a Password protected file serve. let me explain the whole story. We are using Moodle 3.2

I am working in an institute that has many branches in many different countries. Right now I am in Canada working in one of their institutes. They have more than 1000 students. We are Taking Quizzes in Moodle but Last year we explore Rubric that works with Moodle Assignment to marks Students. Our 50 % of work based on Oral testing of the student. We discover if we uploaded a test paper on behalf of students( by logging from each student) while the Assignment is invisible to Students. The teacher takes Oral Quiz calling each student, the pdf file open that can be annotated and at the same time marking in the rubric. Basically, we were using an Assignment for oral testing Students. it had made our work paperless and very fast and the grade is also uploaded to the Gradebook. Yes, i know this is not the actual purpose of Assignment. 

The Only problem I am facing is when the teacher sends me a Quiz pdf file to upload, for around 25 students to upload by loging with their ID takes around 1 or 1 1/2 hour. But when this purpose gets popular more courses starting using it. Classes having more than 50 students, it took me more than 2 to 3 hours to upload the pdf file. I even posted in Moodle,  Is it possible to introduce a Window in Edit setting ( like Feedback window) where a teacher can drop a Quiz pdf file and it automatically appear in each student annotation( the Assignment is invisible). 

When I didn't get any response or help and the Oral / Practical testing getting so popular. We decided to come up with another solution if the Teacher sends Quiz pdf file that is Password protected to each student and student first download that file and then upload the file as Assignment, while teacher only has a password to open the file. The teacher can annotate the file while taking the oral/Practical. That same lots of extra work and Oral and marking are done simultaneously.  I hope you could understand my point and able to help me Thank for your time.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Memona Salahuddin -

Thanks for replying, and asking what purpose does a Password protected file serve. let me explain the whole story. We are using Moodle 3.2

I am working in an institute that has many branches in many different countries. Right now I am in Canada working in one of their institutes. They have more than 1000 students. We are Taking Quizzes in Moodle but Last year we explore Rubric that works with Moodle Assignment to marks Students. Our 50 % of work based on Oral testing of the student. We discover if we uploaded a test paper on behave of students( by logging from each student) while the Assignment is invisible to Students. The teacher takes Oral Quiz calling each student, the pdf file open that can be annotated and at the same time marking in the rubric. Basically, we were using an Assignment for oral testing Students. it had made our work paperless and very fast and the grade is also uploaded to the Gradebook. Yes, i know this is not the actual purpose of Assignment. 

The Only problem I am facing is when the teacher sends me a Quiz pdf file to upload, for around 25 students to upload by loging with their ID takes around 1 or 1 1/2 hour. But when this purpose gets popular more courses starting using it. Classes having more than 50 students, it took me more than 2 to 3 hours to upload the pdf file. I even posted in Moodle,  Is it possible to introduce a Window in Edit setting ( like Feedback window) where a teacher can drop a Quiz pdf file and it automatically appear in each student annotation( the Assignment is invisible). 

When I didn't get any response or help and the Oral / Practical tAesting getting so popular. We decided to come up with another solution if the Teacher sends Quiz pdf file that is Password protected to each student and student first download that file and then upload the file as Assignment, while teacher only has a password to open the file. The teacher can annotate the file while taking the oral/Practical. That same lots of extra work and Oral and marking are done simultaneously.  I hope you could understand my point and able to help me Thank for your time.

by ben reynolds -

If I understand you correctly, Memona, you are uploading the exact same file to each student by logging in as the student. Are you aware that you can do this once for all students by using the "manage files" button in the Atto editor?

In reply to ben reynolds

by Memona Salahuddin -

Yes, you are correct.  You understand exactly what I want. But I am unable to find Atto editor button. Could you please help me find it.

by ben reynolds -

OK. It looks like this in 3.3.2, which is a bit newer version than you are using.

3 Atto editor buttons, right most is manage files

The right hand button in the image is manage files. If you mouse over it in your Moodle (not my image), you will see a tool tip saying "Manage files." In this Moodle.org site, the manage files button is to the *left* of the microphone and video buttons and has a paper clip added to the sheet of paper with a corner folded down, but it still has a tool tip "Manage files."

You click that button, then browse for the file you want, upload it and present a link that students can see.

@Mary Cooch, is there a video that demonstrates how to add a file for students to download to an assignnment module?