User TERMS OF USE feature

User TERMS OF USE feature

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 4
Moodlers;

Does anyone use any sort of "Terms of Use" feature with their moodle site? You know, upon registering, a page of site rules that must be agreed upon to continue?

I imagine one could just add some language to the registration process, but I wonder if anyone is working on a mod that would actually database store a users acceptance of the rules of usage?

I need such a mod because I teach writing online, and it would be useful to have my legal disclaimers about site usage built into the registration process. But I imagine that almost anyone would benefit from a TERMS OF USE step in the registration process.

Kind Regards

Thom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: User TERMS OF USE feature

by Patrik Nilsson -
Do you really need a database that store a users acceptance?
Isn't it enough to just have in the terms saying if you create an account then you have accepted. That way anyone that has an account has accepted. And thoose who don't doesn't have an account. 
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Tom Murdock -
Why not add it to the email confirmation letter? If they follow the link to confirm the registration, they have also accepted the conditions? smile
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Thomas Robb -
Some instructors bulk add their students, in which case there is no e-mail confirmation. There would have to be a flag in the USER table which would be set to "1" once the terms are accepted, and which would appear after login if set to "0". Not accepting the terms could just return the user to the login screen.

Another consideration is whether this should be a site-wide feature, or whether it should be course-specific. An instructor might, for example, wish to get permission from his students to use segments of their postings in a research paper, etc.

In reply to Thomas Bray

by Scott Casley -
Thom,

I'm thinking about this now due to a 'situation' on my Moodle site. I've just done a search of the forums for 'disclaimer' and 'terms of use' which brought me to here. Have you had any luck finding/developing something?

Obviously all users should see it on their first login, whether they've been added by the teacher or enrolled themselves. This means it wouldn't be in the confirmation email but part of the login process. Maybe just put something up on the login page: "By logging on to this site you agree to the terms of use as described here." Is that enough? Do we have any lawyers out there?

Scott