ISSUE - "Please login to view dropdown menu"

ISSUE - "Please login to view dropdown menu"

by Kevin P -
Number of replies: 4

I am currently stuck on an issue with our website, when a user is logged in already (I have tried this with all the different user types), the dashboard does not show up. Instead, there is a label in the header that says "Please login to view dropdown menus". After clicking it, a screen pops up (I have included a screenshot below) which says "You are already logged in as a P, you need to log out before logging in as different user". Logging out and in is an endless loop of this.

I have looked into it as much as I can but to no avail. Please let me know if there is a possible fix. I know that our version of moodle is very outdated but at the time updating is not an option for us. If there is a fix to this without updating please help!

Moodle version: 2016120508.03

Moodle release: 3.2.8+ (Build: 20180515)

Screenshot is attached below.

Attachment ss.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin P

Re: ISSUE - "Please login to view dropdown menu"

by Kevin P -

After some third-party advice I have updated the login files on the server with nothing breaking successfully, but I am still having this issue.  I would appreciate some help please this is urgent now.

In reply to Kevin P

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hazarding a guess, I’d say this was a theme issue (and possibly a capability issue with the menu options in the theme) rather than an authentication issue.

What theme are you using? 

Does the theme allow the drop down menu to be defined, or is it using the menu from the main menu at Site Admin > Appearance > Themes > Theme Settings?

Have you tried temporarily changing the theme to see if the problem still occurs? If you don’t want to change the theme for everyone, you can do a URL theme change just for you and only for the current session by following the guidance at https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Allow_theme_change_by_URL

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Kevin P -
You were spot on, I am fairly new to Moodle so thank you for the help.

No themes are installed on the website so it is defaulted to the standard one. I have included a screenshot of the theme settings.

I'm thinking just to get rid of the custom menu item so the user menu items show up. I'm not sure if it works like this though, I think both should be showing up if a user is logged in. Is there a reason user menu items aren't showing up when a user is logged in?
Attachment ss.PNG
In reply to Kevin P

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I would delete that whole line - as it stands, it’s kind of useless smile

You can safely list the menu items whether someone is logged in or not - the worst that will happen is that if someone who is not logged in to your site clicks on a link that requires them to be logged in, they will be challenged to login.

See https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Theme_settings#Custom_menu_items for guidance. If you need to make it a bit fancier, have a look at this discussion thread.

If you want/need more flexibility, the Adaptable theme allows you to create extensive custom menus. They can also be targeted to different users based on custom profile field.

There is also a useful plugin for extending the navigation bar - https://moodle.org/plugins/local_navbarplus