Advice on setting up a Rubric for a Pass/Fail scale

Advice on setting up a Rubric for a Pass/Fail scale

by Eric vanBok -
Number of replies: 11

I would like to set up a Rubric for grading an assignment that results in a Pass/Fail grade.

The Rubric is pretty specific.  It is a series of 8 criteria that the assignment is rated on, with 5 levels each.  Then there are two criteria that are Yes/No. How I would like this to work is if either of the Yes/No criteria is No, the student gets a Fail grade.  Both of the Yes/No criteria need to be Yes for them to get a Pass grade.

Then with the other 8 criteria, they need to score at least a 71 out of the 100 points for those to pass.

I have experimented with different points for the Yes/No criteria and different passing scores for the assignment.  But I haven't gotten the combination of values to get this to work correctly yet.

Can anyone give me guidance on how best to approach this?  Areas that I can look at, or settings I can try to make this work?

I will appreciate any help at all.  Thank you.

I am using Moodle 3.6.2. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric vanBok

Re: Advice on setting up a Rubric for a Pass/Fail scale

by David Morrow -

ERic,

How about this:

Rubric with 10 criteria

Criteria 1 - 8 are worth 1.25 points each (with levels of 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1.00, and 1.25). That would be 10 points total so the target for this portion would be 7.1

Criteria 9 and 10 are worth 45 points each (each with two levels, with no = 0 and yes = 45)

Set the passing grade to be 97.1

A “No” on 9 or 10 would ensure a failing grade. Scoring less than 7.1 (71%) on 1-8 would also result in a failure, even if 9 and 10 were both marked Yes.

There are other configurations - I think it is easier if the total for 1-8 is very small relative to the yes/no criteria.

Thanks,

David

In reply to David Morrow

by Eric vanBok -

Thank you for your ideas on this.

That is along the path I was thinking too.  However, my grading for this assignment is on a scale that is Pass/Fail.  So there is a maximum grade of 2 for it.

If I follow the logic that we are looking for 97.1% of a grade of 2, that would be a grade of 1.942 for passing, which would round to 1.94.

The thing is that doesn't work.  The issue is that as long as someone gets a yes on both criteria 9 and 10, they pass.  Even if I set the passing grade to 2.0, which is a perfect score.  It doesn't matter what they score on criteria 1 through 8.  If criteria 9 and 10 are both yes, they pass.

Maybe I have something else set wrong, but the numbers are just not adding up how I think it should work.

Is there some setting somewhere that changes how the rubric is calculated and translated into the grade for the Pass/Fail scale?

In reply to Eric vanBok

by David Morrow -

Eric,

Sorry - I was thinking in terms of points, not scales. You make a 97.1 or higher and you pass. Below that you fail.

But I see your predicament, I think.

I don't know what sort of reporting you have to do. Would the activity completion report help? You could do as I describe, with the assignment being a 100 point grade and passing set to 97.1. Then, add a completion condition that a passing grade must be earned. The activity completion report would give you an at-a-glance report of who has passed/failed (as long as everyone has been graded.

Best of luck!

David

In reply to Eric vanBok

by Dan McGuire -

If 2 is the maximum score possible, then make items 9 and 10 worth .8 each and the first 8 items worth .0625 each. Then you can set the passing score to be 1.85, which would mean that students would need to get 70% of the first 8 items at a pass in order to get a total passing grade. It would seem to me that creating gradations for the first 8 items is not useful or very meaningful.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Eric vanBok -

I want to thank you both for your advice.

I have tried quite a few different setups, and unfortunately, they are all failing.  It seems like it is impossible for me to use a rubric as I want for generating a grade on a simple pass/fail scale.  No matter what I do, it just will not behave as I need it to.  It always gives a passing score if both of the yes/no questions are yes, regardless what the other 8 items are scored.

I can't figure out why.

That is leaving me to explore switching from a simple pass/fail scale to scoring it out of 100 and setting a very high passing score.  I need to see if the higher-ups will be happy with that though.  If not, I will be returning to this to see if I can suss out a solution.

In the meantime, if you happen to have other ideas, please let me know.

In reply to Eric vanBok

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Eric,
You are right about this... it doesn't work.

The thing is: the rubric always calculates for itself and does not respect the 'grade to pass' setting.

A simple way to set this up:

1. Create a rubric with 4 criteria, simple score 0 and 1
  2. Create a scale that says 'fail/pass'
  3. Set grade to pass to 2.0

What happens is the following: even if you score 75% in the rubric, you will always pass. The 'grade to pass' does not effect the rubric. The rubric always figures out that 75% of the score will be considered as passed.

I have tried some things, but I could not figure this out either. The advice that you have been given above is incorrect as far as I can see.

In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Ryan Hazen -

I can't replicate this in the rubric with the proper max grade set in the assignment:

If the grade to pass was set at 2 this student would not have passed.

In reply to Ryan Hazen

If the grade to pass was set at 2 this student would not have passed.

The rubric does not respect the 'grade to pass' setting - that's the problem.

Please try to make your rubric so that you only PASS if you pass all the 4 criteria (C1 to C4). Check for the same score (3 out of 4) and you will see that you will always pass the rubric.

In reply to Eric vanBok

Please vote for my tracker here: MDL-66105
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

by Eric vanBok -
Thank you for confirming what I found and creating the tracker entry.

In the end, I gave up and we switched from a pass/fail grade to a grade out of 100 with a very high passing score. Not ideal but at least it works.
In reply to Eric vanBok

by Ryan Hazen -

Have you tried using negative grades in the rubric? The would work in theory, where the "no" value is a negative of the total grade of the assignment:

Rubric with negative values

In the case above, the student scores 2 points on the first two criteria, and then a -10 on the last, resulting in a 0% in the gradebook.