Quiz Grades Not Registering

Quiz Grades Not Registering

by Joanne Dodd -
Number of replies: 26

Hi all, 

I am having an issue with quiz grades not registering in the grade book and activity completion.  They are ticked off in the course completion settings and activity completion requires view, grade and passing grade for each quiz.  

I am using version 3.2.

Any assistance gratefully received.  

Regards

Joanne

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanne Dodd

Re: Quiz Grades Not Registering

by Joanne Dodd -

Grades appear to have been recorded for some people but they're not transferring to the activity completion report.  

Please see the screenshots. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.23.17 am.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 9.23.41 am.png
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It is clear you have a passing grade set but what settings are checked for your activity completion? If Require a passing grade is checked but student must receive a grade is not, it won't check (don't know why, just works that way).

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Joanne Dodd -

Thanks for your reply Melanie.  I have must view, must receive grade, and must achieve passing grade checked.  Please see the screenshot following.  Note that the "Unlock completion options" has only recently appeared and is possibly the issue?  If this is the case how do I get that removed?  

Regards

Joanne

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8.29.27 am.png
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are you sure that the passing grade is set correctly?  On the quiz?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Joanne Dodd -
Hi Emma,

Thanks for your reply.  The passing grades are all set for every quiz.  All quizzes were working perfectly until recently.  It is only since the Completion locking showed up that things have not been working properly.  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Everyone, 

My issue is still not resolved.  I think it has something to do with this Completion Options feature as it was all working before this feature appeared.  I do not know how or when this feature came to be but is there a way to disable it?  I have contacted my IT guy who set up the platform to see if there was a recent update but I haven't yet heard back from him.  

I really need this issue resolved as I am using Middle in a workplace training context and we are about to have an accreditation assessor come through.  It looks pretty bad if our training platform is not working correctly.  My interim fix has been to hide all the quizzes from our trainees so that they don't do them and then become frustrated that their grades and participation are not registered.  

Any help gratefully received

Joanne

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 8-1.29.27 am.png
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Melanie Scott -

I tend to not use the must view--if they have to have a grade, they have viewed it...it just adds another level check for moodle.  The Unlock completion options button just means 22 people have taken it, so unlocking criteria and changing it will reset criteria (which, at this point, might be a good idea) and rerun the grade sync.  Speaking of sync, are you sure your sync is running properly?  if the ones checked were done substantially before the ones not and your sync doesn't run/stopped running it won't update the checks. My sync runs every 5 or 10 minutes, some people run it more frequently, some less (I used to work somewhere where it ran every quarter hour, which drove people crazy and they wanted to only run it once an hour).  Maybe the sync needs to be poked...I can't give you much instruction on that, not very techie.

You also might check the quiz settings in the gradebook (grades, gradebook setup, Edit settings for quiz: check for Locked or Locked after)--if for some reason the quiz is locked, it might not report (but I think that usually affects the gradebook, too). I've seen people accidentally lock activities (they never know how it happened) and then the frustration is incredible.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Melanie, 

Thanks for your reply.  I've looked at the grade book setup and none of the quizzes are locked.  I'm not really sure about the syncing you have talked about so I might refer that to the IT guy who set up the site.  

Thanks for your help. 

Joanne

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 8.26.49 am.png
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Melanie Scott -

Yeah, I'd guess it has to do with your sync.  You might also reset the completion criteria just to see if it helps. I've seen it fix problems that made no sense before.

by Joanne Dodd -
Hi Melanie,

Do you mean reset the completion criteria for  an individual quiz or the whole course?  I've tried doing this with several quizzes and then logging in as another user and  doing the quiz.  The activity was not logged and the results not recorded.  My IT guy has come back with this answer....

Sorry for the delay in response, however, I'm sorry to say that I have almost nothing to add...

I have not applied any updates to Moodle.

I can see that the scheduled tasks (cron tasks) are running as configured. I suppose this one is the 'sync' task that is relevant for this? I can see it is running several times per hour, perhaps every 10 mins (not sure exactly). The name as it appears in the list is:

Background processing for gradebook
\core\task\grade_cron_task

It would be helpful if they can provide some workaround or troubleshooting steps that you or I can perform on Moodle.

Any further help greatly appreciated.  Otherwise is there some way I can escalate this to a developer?  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you checked your quiz feedback settings?  Is it possible that grades are not being released until the quiz closes but the quiz has not closed?

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Emma, 

None of the quizzes have closing dates as this is a training platform in a workplace so we have to have everything available all the time for when new employees come on board.  Grades have been released previously and no changes have been made, this glitch just appeared for reasons yet to be determined.  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Emma Richardson -

You say the quiz grades are not recording but they are in the gradebook, correct?  It is just that the completion is not registering?  So something has to be wrong between the completion settings and the quiz settings...I would still think this is a passing grade issue - can you show us the quiz settings of one the quizzes that is not showing as completed?

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Emma, 

I have done the quiz for which the settings are shown in the screenshot.  I lodged in as a different user to do it.  The activity completion box was not ticked after doing it and the grades were not recorded in the grade book (I did it three times).   There was a view restriction on it which I removed and that made no difference.  The overall number of attempts did not change despite my doing the quiz a further three times. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.04.40 am.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 11.11.57 am.png
In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

Is your course completion cron job running? I have learned that every 1-2 minutes is needed. Sometimes I manually, push it.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Shirley, 

Thanks for your reply. This is what my IT guy has said 

I can see that the scheduled tasks (cron tasks) are running as configured. I suppose this one is the 'sync' task that is relevant for this? I can see it is running several times per hour, perhaps every 10 mins (not sure exactly). The name as it appears in the list is:

Background processing for gradebook\core\task\grade_cron_task

Is that what you mean?  I don't understand how to do the completion cron stuff, I don't have that level of access but I'll forward your comment to my IT guy and see if he knows what you mean.  Any other details you can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

Course completion is a different cron job.

Scheduled tasks>Completion mark as started

and

Scheduled tasks>Calculate regular completion data

Kind Regards,

Shirley

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Joanne Dodd -
Hi Shirley

Thanks for your reply.  This is the latest that my IT guy has posted to me

They are running successfully:

Completion mark as started
\core\task\completion_daily_task

Scheduled: every night. Last run: last night.

Calculate regular completion data
\core\task\completion_regular_task

Scheduled: ASAP. Last run: 3mins ago.

I don't speak programming but it kind of looks like what you have posted.  

I was talking to a friend who is an IT guy at school and he said that in his experience with Moodle even slight changes to the server can disrupt its function.  I have asked my IT guy if they did any server tweaking recently that may have affected our platform.  

Regards

Joanne 

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Everyone, 

This issue is still unresolved.  

I have been doing some digging to try and work out when this issue arose. So far the latest recorded quiz grade I can find is the 20th of February. I haven't been through all of our trainees to see if I can narrow that down but there is one that was completed but not recorded on the 27th of February. 

There are also a few glitches where activities are not being recorded as viewed but when looking at the individual activity report they have viewed the documents. One example was viewed on the 20th of February but not recorded on the Activity Summary Report.

Someone suggested that changes to the server may have caused this but there haven't been any other than some security updates that my IT guy says are likely to have caused this. 

Is there another level of support that can possibly help please?  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What does it say under Quiz settings -> Check permissions for one of the students whose grades was not saved.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Teddy Batel -

Hi all,

I have the same problem...

I tried to update Moodle 3.6+. I still the same problem...

Ted

In reply to Teddy Batel

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Teddy, 

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry you're having the same problem too!  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Tim, 

I'm not really sure what you mean but I think this is it?  (Name redacted for privacy.)

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is what I meant, and that looks correct.

What happens when this student tries to attempt the quiz? Are you able to watch them try?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi Tim, 

I have logged in as several of the participants in the courses and done several of the quizzes in multiple courses.  The results are visible when you click into the quiz, but the activity completion box doesn't tick and the activity report and grade book don't show the results. 

This is consistent across 5 courses so it's a system wide issue rather than individual quizzes.  

Regards

Joanne

In reply to Joanne Dodd

by Joanne Dodd -

Hi All, 

The Gremlins are still at play in my courses unfortunately.  Thankfully the gradebook is now recording grades, however, the activity report is not logging the activity as done. 

If I login as another user and click on the quiz I know they have done (because they sent me a screenshot and it's in the gradebook) the activity completion will register but it won't register when they are logged in as themselves.  

Any advice or suggestions appreciated. 

Regards

Joanne