LTI grade sync behviour moodle->Blackboard

LTI grade sync behviour moodle->Blackboard

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 0

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone who could confirm the behaviour of moodle (provider) to Blackboard (consumer) grade syncing.  I was caught out this morning by behaviour 1 below and wanted to confirm this is "normal" for LTI or at least normal for a moodle-Blackboard setup.  I was also surprised by behaviour 3 that LTI users do not list in the moodle gradebook.  Confirmation of this as "normal" is appreciated as I am at the start of setting up a new service.

1. If a student completes a test and receives zero marks in moodle, on Blackboard this will not be entered as a zero, but instead appear as “not started” or a “- - “ entry in Blackboard’s grade centre.  It is unclear if the zero mark is actually sent by moodle, or if the LTI protocol treats it as a non-attempt, or if Blackboard is treating zeros as non-attempts.  However, the outcome is no attempt recorded on Blackboard, but an attempt can be seen on moodle.

2. If a student completes a test and receives a score >0, this mark will sync to Blackboard.  If a student re-attempts the quiz, the last attempt score will be transferred.  However, if moodle is set to use the Highest attempt, then only the highest attempt score is transferred.

3. The moodle gradebook “Grader report” does not list students coming in via the LTI link, although the “Grade History” area does report all attempts and scores and this information can be downloaded (albeit with email addresses rather than usernames).

Thanks and best wishes,

Stuart Anderson, University of Manchester.

Average of ratings: -