Dragging Files Resources into a Folder Resource

Re: Dragging Files Resources into a Folder Resource

by Brad Nielsen -
Number of replies: 3

I do like the idea of dragging a file over another file to create a folder, but I could see some issues when it comes to moving files around the screen. You could accidentally drop it on another file by mistake.

In reply to Brad Nielsen

by Brad Nielsen -

I was thinking actually, that the flexible sections format and folder functionality really should be combined. A folder really should just be a collection of activities and resources, that users can simply drag items into so to group things. I know the Topics tabs are there for that reason, but I feel a user should not be so constrained - they should be able to group things into different hierarchical levels if that is their desire. And folders/sections should be able to sit anywhere on any page.

The process should be:

1. Create a folder (a flexible section closed)
  2. Drag labels, resources and activities into the folder
  3. Go into the folder, and repeat the last two steps if necessary..

This will put an end to the scroll of death. In many ways the flexible sections format simply needs to be upgraded to look like a folder, with better drag and drop enabled especially if the section/folder is closed.

just some thoughts..

In reply to Brad Nielsen

by Alan Ball -

Yeah, well said - I would think a visual helper or delay would help prevent accidentally dropping something in (a little like the Mac finder's pop up folders)

In reply to Alan Ball

by Brad Nielsen -

Ive been giving this some more thought, the number of teachers who have come up to me to ask how to group their resources is quite astounding. We have over 200 teachers and I think about 20 of them have asked about it. Particularly teachers who have placed a large number of links on their page.

They dont want to create a new Section, they simply want to be able to group their resources in something similar to a Folder. And they dont like the look of the Flexible Sections format at present - it also isn't compatible with Sharing Cart.

If Moodle doesnt want to change the Folder resource - as in keep it only for Files that's okay. 

But perhaps creating a Collection resource which can be used to contain any group of Resources or Activities. I think it would be a very simple addition to core functionality. The Collection could either open on the page dynamically or go to its own page.

If users could drag their Resources and Activities into the Collection, that would great. It could also be a very easy way to move multiple resources around the page.

When I have time, I might create a Moodle Tracker for this.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)