I am using Moodle 3.6

My current workflow is

1. Student attempts a quiz
  2. Gets to last question
  3. Clicks on Finish attempt
  4. Presses Submit all and finish
  5. Clicks Submit on the Confirmation popup
My concerns are:

1. Depending on the number of questions, Submit and finish (step 4) may be below the fold, and they may miss it, thinking they have already submitted their work by pressing Finish attempt
  2. In Boost, the Submit all and finish button is grey, which doesn't emphasise the importance of pressing it
  3. The student can leave the page by clicking any link, without a "Leave this page" warning

Given how important the submission process is, this feels like a recipe for disaster.

Any comments?

Thanks
Brendon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brendon Hatcher

Re: Quiz submission workflow concerns

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is problematic. On the other hand, a student submitting their attempt before they have finished answering questions is also a disaster.

The Boost styling certainly seems wrong. That should probably be reported as a bug in the tracker.

In reply to Brendon Hatcher

Re: Quiz submission workflow concerns

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I use Boost and I use quizzes.

If I want to avoid the student forgetting to submit, when I set up a timed quiz, I set "When time expires" to "Open attempts are submitted automatically."  Also, this feature (I think) will close any quizzes after the due date.

In Boost, "Finish Attempt" is colored.  But you are correct, that "Submit all and finish" is grey, giving it visual importance equal to "Return to attempt."  Hmmm, I don't know.  I guess that you could submit a feature request.  Or you might be able to add some custom CSS and change its color.

In practice, I begin my course with a simple student survey.  I stress that this survey also shows that students need to "Submit all and finish."  So I tend to train my students to click that last button.  Again, not a significant problem because open quizzes will be closed automatically by Moodle.

And again, in practice and having been using Moodle for 10 years, I have never had a "disaster" like the one that you describe.