Migrating STACK 3 questions to STACK 4

Migrating STACK 3 questions to STACK 4

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We have recently setup a new up-to-date moodle server and plugins and I have been manually importing courses containing STACK questions from our old server to the new.  The old server had questions in the STACK 3.0 format and our new server has questions in the 4.0 format.  The most obvious change is the move from @...@ to {@...@} for variables.  I've run the "fix maths delimiters script" which does a reasonable job at fixing most questions.  I think that it is not fixing everything, for example where \frac{ } { } is used, we are left with only partial conversion and something like this:

\frac{@a@^{@m+p@} @b@^{@m+q@}}{@a.b@^{@m@}}

However, what is more of a problem is that where the script is working, the @...@ are updated to {@...@}, but when viewing the question, the updates are not seen and all the "@" symbols are exposed to the user.  However, editing and then saving the question (with no changes) again usually fixes this problem. You can see an example of what I mean here:

You can see the fixed markup just above the preview window, but the preview is a mix where some "@" symbols are exposed.  Editing and re-saving this question solved the problem.

Is this some sort of caching issue?  Do you have any suggestions for how I can fix it on mass and thus avoid having to manually edit and save each question to force the update?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: Migrating STACK 3 questions to STACK 4

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

For the caching issue, try going to Admin -> Plugins -> Caching -> Configuration, finding the Question definitions cache in the list, and clicking the Purge link there.

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Stuart,

Tim is right, you need to rebuild the maxima image and clear the cache.

Also, you need to change your delimiters.  This is documented here:
https://stack2.maths.ed.ac.uk/demo2018/question/type/stack/doc/doc.php/Installation/
under "Migration from STACK 3.X to STACK 4.0"

Chris

In reply to Christopher Sangwin

by Stuart Anderson -

Thanks both.  Running "Admin -> Plugins -> Caching -> Configuration > Question definitions" has resolved the big issue with @...@ symbols coming through to the display.  I didn't do an explicit rebuild of the maxima image as following Tim's advice resolved the issue I had.  Touch wood, all seems to have worked OK for us.

Thanks,

Stuart.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We should probably make the 'Replace dollars' script clear that cache automatically.