PDF files cannot be viewed by students

PDF files cannot be viewed by students

by Eric Doyle -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

My first post here and hoping somebody can help! I have searched the forum but cannot find a  previous issue similar to mine. 

I have just uploaded a course designed on Articulate 09 software to Moodle version 2.4.

The course was uploaded to Moodle and was working ok. However, I received an email from a student who said he could not access  3 pdf files in a Case Study section. When he clicks on the pdf links he gets the "This course is currently unavailable to students" message.

This looks like the pdf content has been restricted from view for students. I wasn't aware that this was possible? They can view and complete the rest of the course ok. Anybody with teacher or admin rights has no problem viewing the pdf files. I was under the impression that either the whole course was “invisible” or nothing.

I’m hoping it’s just a setting that needs to be changed somewhere…

Hoping somebody can help..

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Doyle

Re: PDF files cannot be viewed by students

by C Behan -

Hi 

It sounds like the PDFs are hosted in a Moodle course page that the students aren't enrolled on. Check the links.

In reply to C Behan

by Eric Doyle -

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm only finding my way around Moodle at the moment so bear with me. The pdf files were uploaded as part of the SCORM package in one zip file. The whole course is contained in the one location if that makes sense? As far as I am aware, there is only one Moodle course page associated with this course.

Thanks.

In reply to Eric Doyle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You get that message because the course is hidden (in the course settings).

In reply to Howard Miller

by Eric Doyle -

Hi,

The course isn't hidden though. I've just checked the settings again. Everybody has access to the course but the students get that message when they click on the pdf links in one section. Anybody else above the level of student has no problem accessing the pdf's.

In reply to Eric Doyle

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Assuming the message you reported is the exact one then that's the only scenario under which you would see that message. 

So... if it's not the course you think it is then the only possibility remaining is that the students are getting linked to a course that IS hidden. 

As an aside, support for 2.4 ended four and a half years ago. I would strongly encourage you to upgrade. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Eric Doyle -

Hi Howard,

It's quite confusing but the message is exactly as described. Access to the course is requested by the student and then they are enrolled. When the student has enrolled they have access to the course. I've actually tested this today by giving access to the course to a co-worker and then watched them go through the course which contains 4 sections until they got to the final section which is a "case study".  This section contains the 3 pdf documents in question. When he clicked on any of the pdf documents that was the message he received.

When I or anybody else with teacher or admin rights accesses the course this message does not appear and the pdf files are accessible. I can't understand how they are being refused access to a part of the course when they are already enrolled.

In reply to Eric Doyle

by Howard Miller -

Where did you get the links for the PDF files from?

Almost certainly they "belong to" some other course that is hidden (from students). 

This sort of thing can be tricky to track down... the URL of the PDF should be pluginfiles.php followed by some parameters that identify the file in the mdl_files table. If you are stuck then that's the way to go. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)