Users kicked out quizzes & getting a "not allowed in this room" message

Users kicked out quizzes & getting a "not allowed in this room" message

by Jerry Lau -
Number of replies: 5
Using Moodle 3.4.6+

This is a consequence of my previous thread I think  .. that singular cron is now running for at least 2 days ..

Backups take such a long time and now we have reports of users being kicked out of their moodle quizzes (not happened in a long time).. they saw something like "you are not allowed to access this room ..." or something like that.  That is weird.

The web server resources are very low and so is the db server (both 4 cpu and web server has 32 GB ram and DB has 64GB!). both on RHEL 7.5 (maipo), 64-bit, PHP 7.1.8, .. Apache 2.4.6+ on web server and MySQL 5.7.24-community on db server.

Could the cron be affecting it somehow no matter how short of a time window it is running.. from what I see on the screen, it's just doing the backup routines now... no message forum sending, cleanups, etc...

thoughts?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: Users kicked out quizzes & getting a "not allowed in this room" message

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hmmm ... not a developer ... normally don't post nor respond to postings here, but developers are busy bunch - and seldom give out free advice ... after all they 'develop' and that might be their way of making a living.

You did say 'thoughts' but didn't say who ... so ... my 2 cents.

It is possible to offload cron jobs to another server.
Have seen this done in a load balancing setup.
Node 1 runs the cron and does not allow any participants to connect
Node 2,3,4,5 handle the sudents and teachers.

What you could do ...

Minimally clone the code you have to the DB server.
That means the code directory and a minimal moodledata directory.
Best if you have installed the same version of PHP on the DB server.
In the config.php file of the clone site on the DB server, should be localhost
and one could use super user credntials,me thinks.

One would run that cron job from command line in clonedcode/admin/cli/
No apache is involved ... just your PHP and the DB server ... no issues with
networking cause you are on DB server.

Your web server, then, wouldn't be needing to run it ... could remove the cron job from the crontab on the web server.

You would need to check the DB server setup for hosts/user permissions
to assure superuser from localhost on the DB server had all priv's.

Like I said ... my 2 cents.

BTW what was briefly described was done on a larger site(s) than your own ...  that site - a 5 node load balanced system(s) for one of the largest Regional Educatlon Service Center's (10) in the State of Texas providing professional development for any Teacher in the state that wanted to take any of their online trainings.   Never had any issues with cron job.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Jerry Lau -

I've asked for a load balancing setup and let's just say I am still waiting... LOL

They got this message "This computer was not authorized for this exam" before they got kicked out of exam/quiz.

Where the heck did that come from?

In reply to Ken Task

by Jerry Lau -

Can I get in contact with the person  you mentioned so I can see what their setup is and possibly replicate it at our higher ed platform?

thanks

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I would but ... one of the reasons I was asked to help them was because their technical person who wore the hat of backend moodle server admin left the ESC (I introduced Moodle to them many years ago).   So they may not have hired a replacement ... besides ... due to issues with SCORM (not anything else) they were looking into Canvas.

Their load balancing setup was on KEMP - you can google that - they do have docs online.

Load balancing is an entirely different ball game and making the switch from your dedicated DB server + one Web front end won't happen overnight.

From all of your postings you've never said that either of the servers you have have been maxed out CPU/memory wise ... that to say, while load balancing is the next for setups like yours, am still wondering if that's really throwing more resources at a problem and the results won't necessarily be any better.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Jerry Lau -

the funny thing is that resources are fine.. plenty of cpu and memory left and while we get cpu resource warnings over 90% (we have 4 cpus btw), it only last for about 10 minutes then settles down