Scorm export from an "old" Moodle backup

Scorm export from an "old" Moodle backup

by Maria Steinschweiger -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I have the following question. I used to have a Moodle site with several courses containing and a lot of (tousands) quiz questions.

In 2016 I have terminated the online operation and (almost) forgot about the site.

Now several years later I want to reinstal another site (Moodle or Wordpress) and I want to use the already made quiz questions from this Moodle installation from 2016.

If I choose to make a Wordpress site I do not want to enter tousands of quiz questions manually therefore It is my intention to use the scorm feature to export and import the questions of the "old" site.

When I terminated the old site back in 2016 I made a back-up of the sever's harddrive (www and all the other files underneath it in the root).

I have the intention to install a new clean 2019 Moodle version on the harddisk of a local computer.

My question is what is best option to import/integrate the courses/quizzes of the old version into my clean install thus to enable me to produce the scorm files?

Thanks for your appreciated advice!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Steinschweiger

Re: Scorm export from an "old" Moodle backup

by Colin Bowman -

Amazingly I came here today with the same question, only my original work is not so old.  Hopefully when I answer pops up the fact I have written something here makes it instantly visable.

(I had backup copies but my last moodle was withdrawn as there was no funding)

CB

In reply to Maria Steinschweiger

Re: Scorm export from an "old" Moodle backup

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Adriaan van Dijk

What was the Moodle version back in 2016?   Can see the specific build date in moodle code config.php file.  That must have been a 3.1 or up to 3.3 if one had the latest/greatest syndrome.

Now when you say you have everything from that old decommissioned site, that means the code, the data directory and *most importantly* the DB?

If that's true, one could install VirtualBox on laptop with the same OS you were running that Moodle under.  Restore the moodle site, then one would have the ability to export the quiz bank(s).

Do you have backups of courses from that old site?   That's another way ... restore courses then work on exporting quiz bank(s).

@Colin Bowman

Ya lost me ... completely ... do you have a similar situation? ... but if you have course backups then your situation different/easier, I might add.   Just restore courses ... can exclude users and any other resource while restoring .. with the exception of any quiz - include those in the restore.

'spirit of sharing', Ken