Problem with the setting "maximum number of attempts"

Problem with the setting "maximum number of attempts"

by Natalija Špur -
Number of replies: 0

Hello.

I am using Moodle 3.6 and I have problems in the activity Lesson with the setting maximum number of attempts.

I have prepared the lesson that includes two questions (multiple choice and matching pairs). Each correct answer brings 1 point. I want students to have two attempts for answering each question and they should receive a grade to complete the activity (= get two points).

When student answers wrong on a specific question, I edited the “wrong answer jump” so that I navigate student to the specific page where he or she can see that specific content again.

My settings for the Lesson are as follows:

Flow controlFlow control

What is the problem?

I have set the “Maximum number of attempts” on 2.

The student answered wrong on the first question and was redirected on the specific page to repeat the content (with customized button). Then the student tried the question again (i. e. second attempt). In the second attempt his answer was wrong again. In this case, the student should be redirected on the next page, because he already took two attempts. But in reality, the student was again redirected on that specific page and he was able to see the question again (although the setting of maximum attempts was set to 2). Whatever he chose this time (3rd attempt), he was redirected forward (not knowing if he answered correctly) and got the message that he reached the maximum number of attempts.

But in some cases it works as expected (after the 2nd attempt you move to the next page), but I do not know why. The problem gets even more confusing if I use two questions.

Can you please help me to explain, why the students are sometimes able to have one extra attempt (=2+1) to go through the content pages and to see the question again? It is quite disturbing because the answer will be ignored anyway.

Thank you and kind regards,

Natalija

Average of ratings: -