Quiz results

Quiz results

by Louis Caric -
Number of replies: 8

I am unable to advance to the next quiz in section 2 because of a misspelling in the prior quiz.  My keyboard doesn't have the Croatian letters such as the c with a v over it or a d with a line through the top.  How can I proceed? 

Louis Caric

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Louis Caric

Re: Quiz results

by Louis Caric -
Not sure why I received a copy of my question.  I would like an answer though.

Louis Caric

In reply to Louis Caric

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Louis,

It is normal for me that when I make a forum entry, I get an email copy of it.

As for typing characters that do not normally appear on your keyboard, it is easily taken care of. I do it all the time when working on, or creating new keyboard layouts for the typing tutor plugin, MooTyper.

1.  To me this is the hard way. Go to Start > Windows accessories > Character map. My default font is Courier New with character set of Unicode. Scroll down through the table of characters, until you see the one you need. Click on it, then click on, Select, then click on Copy. Go to where you need to type the character and Paste it. Repeat for other characters as needed. The reason I think this is hard is that it is easy to overlook the character when scrolling through the table.
  2. My preferred method is to just install the Windows keyboard driver for each language that I create a MooTyper keyboard layout for. Then any character for that language is just two clicks away. On the bottom right of your screen, click on Eng US, or what ever language preference you are using, and then click, Language. In the new window popup, click on, Add a language. In another  new popup, start typing Croation. After the third letter you should see two Croation options., so click on the one you want, then click on Next. Remove the check marks for Set as my Windows display language, Speech, and Handwriting. Click on Install. After a short time, your list of Language preferences at the bottom right of your screen should include, Croation. To use it, select it, type the letter you want, then switch back to English. Of course this method does require you to know which key the č is mapped to. In this case it is the semi-colon.
This takes a whole lot more time to explain and setup, but using method two to type, č, only takes two mouse clicks to switch to Croation, then two more to switch back to my normal English.
In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

By the way, do not worry that having extra Windows keyboard drivers might impact your computer, it's speed, or it's ability to work with Moodle. I currently have 32 (yes thirty-two) drivers installed, switch back and forth from one to another regularly, and see no impact on my normal computer operations. Except for occasionally starting to type notes in my ticket tracking system, thinking I am in English, but actually in something else.  big grin

In reply to AL Rachels

by Louis Caric -
Dear Al,

Option #1 isn't practical--everytime I would need a special character I would have to go to the character map; that could be several times for one word!

Option #2 sounds like it might work, but I don't know where to start.  You say to go to the bottom right of my screen, but what screen are you talking about, and how do I get there?  I'm not very computer literate.
What would be preferable would be to have on onscreen Croatian keyboard to type from, like texting from a smart phone.  Can I get that?

Louis Caric

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove quoted copy of post being replied to - original submission Friday, 15 February 2019, 12:33 AM)

In reply to Louis Caric

by AL Rachels -

Hi Louis,

I presume your are using Windows on your computer, right?  If so,

1. Select the Start button, then Settings > Time & Language > Region & Language.
  2. Select Add a language.
  3. In the, Choose a language to install, box start typing Croation.
  4. After about the third letter you should see it listed.
  5. Select it, and then select Next.
  6. Review any language features you want to set or install, and select Install. Basically, you want to remove the check marks for, Set as my Windows display language, Speech, Handwriting, etc. as they are not needed.
Once the install is finished, at the bottom right of your windows computer main screen, you should see Eng over US, showing that you are using English for United States. Click on that and a list should appear with HRV Croation at the bottom of the list. Click on it, then when you type a semi-colon key, you should get č.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Louis Caric -
Dear Al,

Thank you very much.  I successfully installed the keyboard.  Haven't tried it on the language site yet, but I'm sure it will work.  Thanks again.

Louis Carič

In reply to Louis Caric

by AL Rachels -

Forgot to mention, since it is difficult to remember where a particular key is mapped in a given language, if you go to Start > Windows Ease of Access > On screen keyboard, you will get a keyboard on screen. If you change to the Croation layout, the on screen layout will change to Croation. You can then either type the letter you want, or click it with your mouse. Just make sure the location you want the text to be at, has the focus, before you click a key.

This works for all the various language layouts I have installed.