Some facts and figures:
- 3005 people started the course and of these 46% were awarded a Learn Moodle 3.6 participant badge for posting in a forum.
- 21% (624) went on to complete all 33 activities and obtain a certificate of completion and badge.
- 32% of participants chose to progress through the course one week at a time, while 68% chose to see all the activities at once.
- In the week 4 final feedback, 93% of participants said that their overall impression of the course was good or outstanding.
- In the week 4 final feedback, 86% of participants said that the tasks in the course were just the right level for them.
What we did well:
The course design was well received, both the short videos and explanations and the social constructionist element. Here’s a summary from one participant in our anonymous feedback:
Following are the things which I liked in your course so I am writing this. These were implemented at different points (before, during and at the end of the course):
1. flow and the way you have designed the course which gives scope for both novices and advanced user of moodle to learn many things.
2. learning activities eg course creation which applies the principles of active learning and utilizes the power of peer learning.
3. collaboration and evaluation of content by the participants across the globe.
4. reflection on how the course meets our learning preferences.
Thanks for the well-designed course. I hope to learn more from the future course.MOOC management
One of the MOOC’s strengths is in its diversity, again something mentioned in our anonymous feedback:
Given the large number of participants with different languages, skills, backgrounds and knowledge of Moodle, I think the course went very well indeed. Great support from the tutors and others online.
It is always a challenge looking after so many people, but we are grateful to our regular attendees, experienced Moodlers who like to help out. Along with the Participant and Completer badges, we award a “Helper” badge to those participants we feel have done a great job helping us. This badge is only awarded to a handful of Moodlers. The Learn Moodle 3.6 Basics Helpers are below: many thanks to them all!
How we can improve:
Clarify the workshop times and instructions
Although we try each time to make the deadlines and instructions clearer, participants still get confused. Confusion arises because the activity is not marked complete until the very end of all stages of the Workshop, and there is confusion amongst some about the final deadline time. We do encourage participants to make sure their timezone is correctly set in their profile, but we plan also to include times as well as dates for the workshop submission and assessment deadlines.
We're also changing the instructions for submission from 'Add a picture...' to 'Attach an image...' and setting the maximum number of submission attachments to 1.
Notify participants via email about their certificateIn future, once participants complete the course, they will be emailed their certificate. This should help people who have struggled to understand the instructions for locating and downloading the certificate on the course page.
Make more of Moodle’s new features
While the MOOC is designed for complete beginners, people also join to discover the new features of each new version. We’re going to try to highlight these better in the next MOOC, for example with new quiz questions or activities or a dedicated summary page, to ensure there is something for everyone, new or experienced.Bug fixes!
Participants are great at finding the occasional bug in in the web version or the Moodle app. We make sure these bugs are reported so they can be fixed not only for our next MOOC but for all Moodle users. Here are some of the bugs recently reported or confirmed:
- CONTRIB-7589 - BBB session times different on timeline from in the course
- MDL-64571 - Duplicate 'This is a copy of a message sent to you...' in message notification emails
- MOBILE-2876 - Error in the Moodle app when assessing workshop submissions
- MDL-64625 Odd display of Book TOC in MS Edge/IE
- https://github.com/markn86/moodle-mod_customcert/issues/266 Custom certificate should state the number of certificates awarded
In April, we’ll be opening up the site for sign up to the Learn Moodle 3.7 Basics MOOC.
Follow us on social media for news of when sign-up will be open!