Read and Sign

Read and Sign

by Tracy Cowan -
Number of replies: 5

I am new to Moodle and was wondering how I could give credit to a student for opening a PDF document and reading it.  No quiz is given due to union concerns.  The read and sign is only performed once per student so I need the entry to disappear once the pdf is read.  I plan to keep the documents in a site file for future reference though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tracy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tracy Cowan

Re: Read and Sign

by Josep M. Fontana -
> No quiz is given due to union concerns.

?????? Are unions against quizzes, now?

Josep M.
In reply to Tracy Cowan

by Will Taylor -
You could use the Assignment activity, selecting as Assignment Type "Online Text".  Rather than .pdf format, the document could be entered in the Description field of the assignment - which permits full text editing (alternatively, it could be linked from text in the description field).

The user would have a text field beneath the document, in which to verify that they had read the document; you could review the responses in your "teacher's" view of this "assignment" activity.

Not sure if this "signature" is what you might need re legal purposes (sounds like that might be the issue here).

In reply to Will Taylor

by Nikki Macfarlane -
I do something similar although I do not have union or legal issues to contend with so not sure if this will suit your needs.

I have a feedback page that I created through Moodle that has the terms and code of conduct that all students must agree to. The text of the code of conduct is written as a label in the feedback form. At the bottom is a checkbox that says "I agree to these terms and will abide by the code of conduct as detailed above."

The checkbox is compulsory so it has to be ticked. I also use activity locking. Every other page on the course is locked until this document is ticked. I had to amend activity locking some time ago to ensure they actually ticked boxes rather than just opened the document. To achieve this I changed the activity locking files so that a grade of 1 woudl be assigned once the feedback form was submitted. The maximum grade was one. So now, activity locking is dependant on the grade being one, which will then unlock every other page on the course. Does this make sense? If you want to see the info on activity lcoking and how to change it it is all detailed on the conditional activities forum - if you do a search on my name it should be pretty easy to find. This was all done in 2005, in about June.

Nikki Macfarlane