Annotate PDF: don't try to convert non-PDF docs

Annotate PDF: don't try to convert non-PDF docs

by Ben Kahn -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all, I had previously been running the unoconv document converter but was having too many problems with it and disabled it. I'm looking into switching to the Google document service but it will take some time to get that set-up (there are some data privacy concerns here at the moment). Both converters are disabled for now.

I still have Annotate PDF enabled under Assignment Feedback plugins. It works as expected with PDF documents. Now we get to my problem: anytime an instructor goes to grade assignments that contain non-PDF submissions (commonly Word docs, etc) they have a bad experience while Moodle tries to convert the doc. The rest of the page, grading interface, etc is sluggish while this doomed process tries to run.

Is there a way to set Annotate PDF to ONLY fire when a PDF is loaded into the grading screen? Or failing that, to make the Annotate PDF service disabled by default so that it can be switched on per assignment if a teacher is wanting to use it? Or is it an "all or nothing"?

I have been educating instructors that they can require a file type of PDF in the submission so that conversion works. My concern is for instructors who don't care about annotation, they just want a fast experience in the assignment grading screen.

I'm on Moodle 3.4.6.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ben Kahn

Re: Annotate PDF: don't try to convert non-PDF docs

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ben,

So far as I know, it is "all or nothing." For your situation, I think you have discovered the best bet, namely, make sure the teachers set the assignment to require file type of PDF only. In Moodle 3.4.6 and others, you can help them out by going to Site administration > Plugins > Activity modules > Assignment > Submission plugins > File submissions, and set the, Default accepted file types, to .pdf. Of course, if they want to use others, add them too, or remember to remove the .pdf when creating a new assignment.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ben Kahn -

Thanks Al. I was afraid of that but wanted to check I wasn't missing anything. Good suggestion but I don't think I want to limit assignment submission types by default because we have thousands of students who are used to submitting Word docs, etc. and also lots of disciplines where they ask for other types of files to be submitted on a regular basis.

In reply to Ben Kahn

by Chantelle Lee -
If you want to annotate PDF files, you may try ApowerPDF. This program was introduce by my friend last month and it is really good.