Online text option for assignment is squirrely.

Online text option for assignment is squirrely.

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 11

I am trying to set up an online text assignment.  I've selected that as my assignment option. I've gone through my settings line-by-line with the documentation, so I should think the students would see a text box when they click on the assignment.  They don't.

This is the student's view of the topic.  When they choose "first station", they watch a video. When they select "personal reflection", they see this.

Notice there isn't an option for them to respond via online.

Might you have an idea of what I need to do so students see the text box to write their response?

Attachment student sees one.jpg
Attachment student sees two.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Online text option for assignment is squirrely.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I will take a guess.  Your assignment has an "Allow submissions from"  date later than today.  Uncheck this date, or make it earlier than today, and then the "Add submission" button should show.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mark Miller -

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't have the "submissions" options enabled.  I went in, enabled the "allow submissions from" option with the date set back to 3 feb.  That didn't result in any change.  Still no text block.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Rick Jerz -

When you say "still no text block" do you mean no "Add Submission" button?  Maybe we are talking about two different things.  For example, are you trying to describe what the instructor sees?

I logged in as a student, went to one assignment, and here is what my student (correctly) sees, including the "Add Submission" button.

Attachment Assignment_Screen_as_seen_by_student.jpg
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Mark - when you say "the student's view", you don't mean you are using the "switch role to student" feature do you? Because for the assignment it will not show the submit button - you need to do as Rick does, to log in with an actual student account (even if you simply make a test student for this purpose) Please see Assignment FAQ number 1.4
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -

Thanks, Mary for mentioning that.  I forgot to test that issue.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mark Miller -

I figured it out!  I was relying on what I see in a course I just took and comparing that to what I was seeing on my site. Your screenshot clarified what was happening.

This is what I see and I now know is exactly what I should be seeing.

In the course I just completed, when I selected the assignment, I did not see this screen; I was taken, instead, to this screen.

The course I'm building is a pass/fail course and the short reflections are essentially participation grades.  They won't be graded.  

Parents at our school are required to complete X number of hours of activities in support of the school and church. We're adding simple courses to the list of options they can choose from.  The reflections ensure that they are making an effort.  I have the course set so that they can't complete the course without completing each activity.

I have no idea how the course developers of the class I took set things up,

Is there a way, though, that I can "skip" the submission information and take students directly to the text entry box? I've not found anything in the docs that seems to apply.  I found a couple of references in a google search that addressed changing the css code -- that's way beyond my ability level.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Rick Jerz -

Mark, I do not recognize what tool your course administrators have used to present that "Personal Reflections" online text question.  Maybe Mary or someone else will recognize it.

I don't use Moodle's Activity Completion system to "pace" or "sequence" my students through a course, but I do know it is very powerful and can provide "conditional" exercises, maybe like what is happening to you.

Since you have "no idea how the course developers of the class (you) took set things up," probably the best solution is for you to talk with these course developers.  Others here on Moodle.org might see it, but I too don't know how your course developers set things up, and I am not the one to speak with them.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mark: as a student in a course when you first access an assignment you will see that screen (the one with the Add submission  button) Then when you click it, if the teacher has chosen online assignment only, then you will indeed see the next screen as in your second screenshot. 

However, I am not aware of a situation where a student goes directly to that second screen (which is where they type their assignment) - bypassing the first one which tells the student whether or not they have already submitted and what the due date is. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -

Let's see, if I create one assignment, and make it be "upload" a file, and then another assignment and make it be only "online text," might I then be able to make one (either one) have "Restrict Access" based upon the other being completed first?  What I am suggesting are two Assignment links, making one be restricted (not shown or not allowed) until the other activity is completed?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mark Miller -
I've not had any luck getting someone to tell me how my last course skipped the "grading summary" notations.  I'll just live with it.

I did find a thread from 2017 that was asking basically the same question: why can't you have a non-graded assignment?  I, too, would like to see an option to hide the grading summary information.

Thanks for all your help.

In reply to Mark Miller

by Mary Cooch -

When you set up the assignment, in the Grade section can you set the Type to "none" and then see what happens?