Category settings menu in manage course and categories page

by Jean-Roch Meurisse -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Moodle 3.5.4+ (Build: 20190124)

Theme: Boost (and Boost child themes)

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I searched a long time for access to category recycle bin to restore a deleted course. I eventually found it in the context menu of course/index.php page when a category is selected. 
I intuitively thought that I would find it in Site administration on manage course and categories page, but the category settings menu is not displayed on that page (only displayed on 'course-index-category' pagetype). Is that deliberate? I guess no since category settings node is available from the old administration block in course and categories management context.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Roch Meurisse

Re: Category settings menu in manage course and categories page

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What makes you think this is a Theme issue?

Sounds more like a Moodle Core problem.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jean-Roch Meurisse -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mary,

I posted that issue in the themes forum since this is handled by boost's core_renderer that displays the category settings menu only on 'course-index-category' page type (see lines 606-614 in method region-main-settings-men).

Anyway, since boost is a core theme, that could be moved to general forum? What do you think?

In reply to Jean-Roch Meurisse

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If the code is in the Boost theme and it differs from core then it is a theme issue.  If the code is in the Boost theme but that just changes the look then it is a core issue and not a theme issue, possibly the 'Usabilty' forum in terms of the user interface.  But in reality then really this a Moodle Tracker enhancement issue that describes what is wrong with the current situation, what needs to be done about it and even better for a much faster implementation, the actual code that makes the change along with testing instructions and the willingness to stay with the process to the end.