Firewall Recommended Settings

Firewall Recommended Settings

by Ali Arekat -
Number of replies: 4

Dears,

I am trying to configure a Fortinet Fortigate firewall on my dedicated server to comply with Moodle recommended settings.  My hosting support needs to know:

"What policies should be allowed through the firewall?”

We tried to activate the firewall with the recommended firewall’s settings and we face a problem that most of the Moodle services stopped working, and the firewall blocked most of the actions on the system.

For example, the firewall blocked the action of editing a section or a topic within a course.

Best Regards,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Arekat

Re: Firewall Recommended Settings

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

We happen to have just had one (well I think 2) of these installed, and it's still being tuned. Our moodle server is exposed to the net via Microsoft TMG reverse proxy, and they just let TMG through the firewall the same as the old firewall. Internally DNS points to the server directly, and we've not had any trouble of the sort you describe since they switched it in (a week or so ago now). The only issue initially was they forgot to put that server into a 'servers which can go online with no users logged into them' group, so it couldn't talk to turnitin, but they fixed that quickly when we spotted the issue on the first working day after it was switched on.

I can tell you who deployed ours (Stay Logical) - I can't guarantee a free answer, but he may be able to give pointers (ask for Jody).

I have seen it get a bit pinicky as it's more a threat management system and tries to scan everything you're doing (unless, like our servers, they have outbound to anything). And it's doing proxy duties now (we had websense before, though most of the time it was more webNONsense).
Maybe ask for some kind of rule to be created for your moodle traffic so it allows it all? We've seen our old proxy need rules setting up to prevent issues like that.

HTH

In reply to Dave Perry

by Ali Arekat -

For our Moodle, we already activated Web Application Firewall service on the Fortigate firewall with the attached settings and still have the same issues.

Most of the issues that we face is SQL injection; appears when the user try to upload a file.

Generic Attacks; when the user try to use some Moodle functions like edit a topic in the course page.issue

In reply to Ali Arekat

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This seems like a pretty crappy firewall. It seems to detect lots of false positives, and not give proper information about what was blocked and why.

If you insist on running a firewall, find one with better heuristics.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ali Arekat -

Do you have any suggestions for a solution that I can use?

Regards,