Badges Final Course Mark - Not Working

Badges Final Course Mark - Not Working

by Jeff Walker -
Number of replies: 17

Hello Everyone, 

I have been trying to set up badges for the course I am working on. So far, I have been able to successfully get badges to work when students submit an assignment. However, the badges for the "Gold - 100%, Silver - 90%, Bronze - 80%) course completion are not triggering.

I have read that you have to have "activity completion" turned on, but I am confused. This course does not actually contain activities. The students are required to complete the assignments using Google Docs and then submit the work into Moodle via a share link from Google. 

The teacher then sees that something has been submitted and works through a rubric to grade the assignment. 

So, the students end up with a mark for each assignment that shows up in the "Grading" section, but the badges don't recognize this overall grade and send the badge. 

I have the criteria set as:

Users must complete the course"Chrome Academy 2018/19" with minimum grade of 80

In addition. Each module - Word processing, Spreadsheets, etc - is locked until the student submits the link from the previous module - which we call "Chapters", which then unlocks the next chapter in the story. So, we can't have any criteria that prevents the students from moving on such as requiring the assignment to be marked. 

I am really confused. I can manually assign the badges based on final grades, but it would be unreasonable to expect a teacher be required to manually assign multiple badges in this way. 

So, what am I doing wrong that is preventing these badges from seeing the final mark and triggering the badge?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Walker

Re: Badges Final Course Mark - Not Working

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Jeff,

Please check in Site administration > Server > Scheduled tasks that the task 'Calculate regular completion data' is running every minute. (Source: Course completion FAQ)

In reply to Helen Foster

by Jeff Walker -

Hey,

Thanks, but I don't think that is the issue. It is currently set to ASAP.

Perhaps it isn't even possible to have Moodle give out course badges when there are no actual activities? Unless I have something set incorrectly, I am not sure how the badge is supposed to know when to look for the final mark. For example, if a student submits the first assignment worth 1 point, they technically have 100% in the course. Only after all the external Google assignments are marked in Moodle's Rubric does the mark end up in it's final state.

So, I don't understand how the badge knows the difference between 100% after the first assignment and 100% after all the assignments are marked. Either way, it isn't working.

In the "Course Completion" section there are checkboxes for the activities, but because this course only has "Submit" as the activity, I don't know if the badge even knows there are grades to see. I hesitate to check any of those boxes until I know the consequences.

As of right now, I am stuck. 

In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi!

If the course has some hidden assignment, the final score could be also including them for calculating the score to get the badges: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-60912

For helping you, it would help if you could reproduce the error in some other site (i.e.  https://demo.moodle.net/) and you send us detailed steps to follow and get the same result smile

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Jeff Walker -

Hey,

The only assignments that are in the course are the ones that show in the attached image. They are the only ones that show up in grade book for marking as well. 

In the attached image, you can see that there are 8 of these Chapters/modules. Each one contains:

- Checklist ( not counted towards marks )

- Submit ( Students are required to submit links from external Google docs )

- Feedback ( not counted towards marks )

- Chapter Script ( not counted towards marks )

- Teacher answer sheet ( hidden )

There are other pages and such for the students, such as "How to's" and such, but none of them are assignments. 

The students copy & share the starting document, then can choose to use the checklist to complete the tasks outlined in the video. Then, they click on the Submit Your Work icon and paste the assignment link in the submit box. 

The teacher then opens the Google docs assignment in Google and uses the rubric to mark it. The marks that are calculated and shown in "Grade View" for all the students. The final mark is calculated as the students submit assignments giving them a course total.

- Now it must be noted as can be seen by the image I attached. The "Course Total" does not add up to 100%. It starts off as 100% and then becomes less as students flub assignments, so the "Course Total" mark must not be used by the badges or they would be getting the 100% badge after the first assignment. 

I am no expert at Moodle, but it would seem to me that when the other badges work, Moodle understands that when a student presses "Submit Your Work" and finalizes that process, that it should send a badge. However, Moodle doesn't seem to recognize when all assignments have been submitted and only then should it look at the final course grade and determine if it meets the criteria for sending the appropriate badge. 

I can try and create a demo on the site you sent, but I will have to think of a way to do it.

Thanks for your help.

Attachment Chapter.png
In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jeff!

Thanks for the explanation smile 

In your case, I would suggest adding also the "Activity completion" criteria, and only let the users award the badge when both ("Activity completion" and "Course completion") will be complete.

When you create the "Activity completion" criteria, you'll need to mark all the assignments the student needs to complete. Apart from that, you'll also need to configure the activity completion for all the assignments and set the "Completion tracking" to "Show activity as complete when conditions are met" and mark "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity".

Hope this helps wink

by Jeff Walker -

Thanks again,

That sounds like a lot of settings and I am a little confused as to where to set them and the potential consequences of doing so during an active course. 

1. The image I've attached shows the "Activity Completion" setting for each "submit" assignment. Currently it is set that the students only need submit the assignment to complete it. My understanding was that this was set this way because it then allows us to lock down the chapters and open them once a student submits work. 

My understanding was that if it was set that a student needed a grade to complete it, they would be waiting for the teacher to mark the assignment before opening the next chapter?

If it turns out this is the setting you're talking about, it seems there are dire consequences for changing this setting. 

2. Enable completion tracking is turned on.

3. The only other settings I know about are under Course Completion -> Condition: Activity Completion. 

Here there are all the "Activities" in the course. None are checked because I had no idea what this section actually did - there is no help tooltips. 

I didn't know what turning these on would do.

So, perhaps if you wouldn't mind could you point me in the right direction? Will this mess up the course if I change these settings after students have been graded?

Thanks!

Attachment Activity Completion.png
Attachment Completion Setting 1.png
Attachment completion tracking.png
In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -

Hi Jeff!

I was suggesting to add some extra criteria to the badge (not just the course completion), to make sure the student has submitted all the assignments before he gets the badge. To get it, you will need to edit the badge, add a new "Activity completion" criteria, select all the assignments the student has to submit and make sure the  "All the selected  activities are complete" is checked:

Activity completion criteria

Besides, in the badge criteria page, you have to make sure that the "All of the selected criteria are complete":

Badges criteria

Does it fit with your case? smile

Cheers!

by Jeff Walker -

Hi,

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. 

As you can see by the image, I set the criteria as you suggested but despite 4 students having completed the course with a final mark ranging from 83 - 100, the badge did not seem to be awarded to any students. 

Either I have something set very wrong, or the badges do not work with this configuration.

Attachment badge settings.png
In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -

Hi Jeff!

Best wishes!

by Jeff Walker -

Hey,

Yes, it appears it is properly tracking the completion. The link you provided shows this, and the badges for submitting that work also reflect this.

The cron job also seems to be working.

I may have to abandon these course badges despite the project manager insisting they are added. I have no idea what other settings I could possibly change. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 3.51.28 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 3.53.14 AM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 3.53.31 AM.png
In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -

Hi Jeff!

I see sad 

Have you tried to create a simple badge on this course (and also in a different course) with only one activity completion to check if it works? Maybe, would also help to upgrade Moodle to the latest version (which version do you have?).

Cheers,

Sara

by Jeff Walker -

Hey,

All 8 badges for submitting assignments work, so it is working. I suspect if I were to remove the final grade criteria from the three other badges they would also work.

The problem seems to be that the criteria for course completion with a final grade is not being recognized by the badge and failing to trigger. When testing I set up a manual badge with the course criteria and while I could manually assign the badge, it wouldn't show up until I removed the course aspect.

So, unfortunately there is a problem with it seeing the final grades either through a setting, a bug, or something else. I also have no control over what version this school division uses as I am simply a hired designer of the course. 

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -

Hi Jeff!

Let's try one more thing: what did you get when you access the " Course completion" report? I guess these users haven't completed the course (and that's why the badge is not awarded automatically).

Cheers!

Sara

by Jeff Walker -

Hello,

There is no "Course Completion" report under the reports section. I have:

Logs

Live Logs

Activity Report

Course Participation

Activity Completion

Statistics

I looked into them and they do seem to be recording the activities being submitted. 

The only other place that has "Course Completion" is in it's own section, which I believe I posted an image of earlier in the conversation. 

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Walker

by Sara Arjona Téllez -

Hi Jeff!

We've got it! smile I think it was not working because you haven't defined any course completion criteria from the "Course completion" section.

The "Course completion" report only appears when the "Course completion" is enabled. You should access to the "Course completion" from the course cog and select the criteria to complete the course (i.e. activities to be completed, grade...). Reviewing the screenshot I've realised now that there are no criteria selected. Once done, the course completion will be enabled, so badges will start awarding automatically for the users who have completed the course. Besides, the "Course completion" link report should appear in the reports section. From here, you'll be able to check who should award the badge. 

Cheers!

Sara

by Jeff Walker -

Hey Sara,

You are correct!!!

I checked those boxes and within a few moments the badges were awarded. Awesome!

The only glitch is that it seems to award the bronze to every student that got minimum 80%. So, there is a student that got silver, but they were also awarded bronze. One got gold, and so far they were awarded bronze and gold (not sure if/when silver will be awarded).

I suspect this may be a limitation of how it calculates the final grade or something. Meaning that if the student hits 100%, it also says, "Oh, they've also got 80% and 90%!"

Perhaps there is a way to add additional criteria, but for now at least the badges are working. Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me get it working. I owe you one! :D

Jeff

Attachment monkeys.png