Moodle and Google+ APIs and OAuth requests are being shutdown on March 7, 2019

Moodle and Google+ APIs and OAuth requests are being shutdown on March 7, 2019

by Thinh Dang -
Number of replies: 3

Dear Developers,

Google just informed me that Google will shutdown the Google+ API in 7th Mar 2019. The email is quoted below

I am using Moodle 3.4 and OAuth2, Do I need to make any changes in my moodle system?

Thank you very much.

----

Hello Google+ Developer,

The email below contains your most recent usage of Google+ APIs. Note: It includes Google+ OAuth scope requests, which are also affected by the Google+ shutdown. A prior email sent to active API callers did not include information about OAuth requests. One final reminder email will be sent in February to users who still have active API or OAuth request activity.

What do I need to know?

On March 7, 2019, all Google+ APIs and Google+ Sign-in will be shut down completely. This will be a progressive shutdown, with API calls starting to intermittently fail as early as January 28, 2019, and OAuth requests for Google+ scopes starting to intermittently fail as early as February 15, 2019.

What do I need to do?

Please update your projects listed below by March 7, 2019 and ensure they are no longer using Google+ APIs, or requesting Google+ OAuth scopes. The data below shows which Google+ API methods your projects have recently called, as well as Google+ OAuth scopes it has requested.

Note: If you see calls to people.get, these can be the result of using the Google+ Sign-In feature in your application, which is now fully deprecated and is being shut down. Developers should migrate from the Google+ Sign-In feature to the more comprehensive Google Sign-in authentication system.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thinh Dang

Re: Moodle and Google+ APIs and OAuth requests are being shutdown on March 7, 2019

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle and Google+ APIs and OAuth requests are being shutdown on March 7, 2019

by Thinh Dang -

Thank you. I can summarize here:

1/ from moodle 3.3, we do not need to do anything.

2/ older moodle version, neet to upgrade moodle.

my question is about: if I cannot upgrade moodle, any other solutions to solve this problem?

In reply to Thinh Dang

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Thinh Dang

If you had used this plugin:

https://moodle.org/plugins/auth_googleoauth2

That plugin did use Google+.   Then you have a problem.

Do a query of your mdl_user table

mysql> select id,username,email,auth from mdl_user where auth like '%oauth%';

*IF you see  all users have 'oauth2' in their auth column, you are ok ... no need to change anything.

Another query of mdl_user table:

select id,username,email,auth from mdl_user where auth like '%google%';

If you see in auth column 'google' something in that column, they are all using the old plugin for authentication and after Google shuts down Google+, they will not be able to login to your moodle.

Work-around is to manipulate the mdl_user table.

Could change accounts to 'manual' authenticate and you would also have to provide a temporary password as well as set up a 'change me on next login'.  The remote authentications do not record nor keep users passwords in mdl_user table.

While it's never really a good idea to manipulate the database tables directly, this case would be an exception as you *MUST* have student accounts keeping the same 'id' number in mdl_user table.

IF you attempt manipulation of database, make sure you have a backup of the database and know how to restore it.

Hope that helps!

'spirit of sharing', Ken