More than 8 "blanks" on Select missing words

More than 8 "blanks" on Select missing words

by Gerardo Fallani -
Number of replies: 6

Hello, I'm using Moodle LTS 3.1, but I also tried on my 3.5 version.

I have an Italian as second language learning activity aimed at lexicon competence.

I was given a text with 16 "blanks" - really, they're 15, since 1 is the example. So, each item has 4 choices to select from. So I'm gonna have 15 groups, with 60 choices (15 right, 45 wrong).

But it appears the system has not the ability to manage more than 8 groups...

Attached (in Italian), the exercise.

Any help?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerardo Fallani

Re: More than 8 "blanks" on Select missing words

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The number of groups was increased to 20 in Moodle 3.6: MDL-62945.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gerardo Fallani -

So, no choice I could have this ability? No way to install the "revised plugin" in this Moodle version?

Otherwise, in a few months we are moving to the next LTS, Moodle 3.5, but this means we're going to spend a while (years!) before we can take advantage of the new extended limit.

I'm afraid we're gonna have to look for another solution.

Thanks anyway

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, the policy is that new features and improvements only go into the next major release. So, if you are only prepared to run LTS releases, then you are going to have to wait a long time for new features.

And, given that you are running LTS releases, I assume that you probably aren't interested in editing the core Moodle code, otherwise you could find the code change that was done for MDL-62945 (https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/4889d6ac23c289931d690070117ca98424cf099c#diff-6106bc40727a7c9472005235c2635404) and make the same changes in your Moodle code.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gerardo Fallani -

So you got straight to the point: the mindset of people who run LTSs is usually "orthogonal" to editing code.

I'll try to figure out an alternative. Maybe with Word Select or some H5P similar stuff... I'll let you know if I found my way. Thanks for your time.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

My Gapfill question type is probably the most directly  comparable to the question type you were using.  If you can persuade them to install Gapfill you might as well get them to Install its sister Wordselect at the same time.

https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Gapfill_question_type

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gerardo Fallani -

It'd be nice to use Gapfill. The dropdown list is what we need here. Definitely. But. 

First, until we won't move to LTS 3.5, no way (I've already discussed with the "system admins").

Second, I've tried in my Moodle 3.5 installation, but I could find out how to group the answers. Ok, I just gave a shot, and I should insist spending more time (but it's a bit "academy", since it's just to see where it takes me, how it works; at the end of the day, as I told, I have no chance to use Gapfill).

But I was surprised by his "sister", Word Select. Easy to work with, very accurate in the score (I have 15 items, 6 points - 0.4 per item - and it works perfectly). 

So, I'm attaching 2 screens containing the 2 different solutions I' found out. In both cases, I have 15 "blanks" with 4 alternatives, so it's obvious that a dropdown list like in Gapfill would be the natural solution. But I'm confident it's fairly decent even like this. but I'm here to learn smile

Thanks for your participation. You're awesome!

Attachment Schermata 2019-02-02 alle 21.36.41.png
Attachment Schermata 2019-02-02 alle 21.38.44.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)