Course import hangs

Course import hangs

by Nabil ALLAOUI -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I've had this issue on the Moodle server at the company where I got an internship.

I've had it on Moodle 3.6.2+ and 3.5.1+, let me explain :

Whenever we try to import a course into a new one, everythings goes well up to the actual import.

The progress bar quickly goes to 15%, then it doesn't go any further. The estimated time in seconds start climbing to thousands and thousands of seconds, it can reach 2 or 3000

Then, nothing, the timer changes a bit, for the better or the worse. But no import, it stays at 15.81% and, if I wait maybe half an hour it goes up to 50%. But it never reaches the end. 

Good To Know : 

- Its self-hosted on Ubuntu 18.04 

- Using PhP 7.2, and MySQL 5.7.25 

- It never timeouts since I increased some PHP settings 

- One time, after 1h30 of waiting, it made it to the end : I could never do it again.

- If, when I import, I select to Include everything BUT the question bank, the import is instant. And then, if I import on the same course, including only the question bank, I basically have a complete course that I have imported in 2 steps. 

I searched for days on this forum, nothing fixed this annoying issue. 

I apologise for any possible mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker.

Thank you for your time ! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nabil ALLAOUI

Re: Course import hangs

by José Antonio Omedes Capdevila -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello, We are experiencing the same issue. We have nailed down the issue to a problem related to the question bank. Whenever we perform the import without selecting question bank everything works fine. If we tick the question bank option it hangs exactly the way you describe. Still investigating. Did you find the root cause. Jose

by Nicolas B -
Hello,
We have exactly the same issue too. It seems to be the question bank too because if we don't select the question bank in the import, the import works fine. If someone could give us some ideas to find why there is this issue ?
Thank you for your help.
In reply to Nicolas B

Re: Re: Course import hangs

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@all in this thread ... suggestion ... check on the 'health' of question bank. via direct url ... not found in admin menus:

https://yoursite/admin/tool/health/

No options to execution.   Will take some time to gen a page.  It will list issues it finds with a button for 'suggested fixes' which is usually a SQL query so you must have access to your DB to execute the SQL.

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Re: Re: Course import hangs

by José Antonio Omedes Capdevila -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Ken,

Thanks very much for your help. Indeed there were some inconsistencies on the Question Bank. We have cleared all of then but we are still unable to import from another course if we choose to select "question bank" in the list of items to import.

Any other thing we could check?

Many thanks.
In reply to José Antonio Omedes Capdevila

Re: Re: Re: Re: Course import hangs

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

@Jose ...

Not a question bank expert, but ...

"still unable to import from another course if we choose to select "question bank" in the list of items to import."

If you attempt that, aren't you trying to import the entire bank to an already existing entire bank?  It's already there!   Do you have/see categories of questions?

'SoS'. Ken

by Rebecca Trynes -

We also have this problem at the moment.

Moodle 3.7.2 on SUSE with PHP 7 and a Postgres DB.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've seen a bunch of questions and categories in the affected courses with a stamp of 'unknownhost' if that has anything to do with it?!