Can I make a dictionary visible on every page

Can I make a dictionary visible on every page

by Jean Lecoq -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all

I am currently working on a course with very technical and new terms, that my students do not know.

Is there a way that I can have the dictionary open on every page during the course, instead of having it as an activity?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean Lecoq

Re: Can I make a dictionary visible on every page

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Jean

Would using the Glossary auto-linking filter work for you? Because if it is turned on then whenever the word or phrase is used in the course those will change to links that trigger a popup displaying the definition.

That way you can have a single glossary that will display all the technical words in the course as links to the definition...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

by Jean Lecoq -

Thank you Dave. I will look into that!

In reply to Jean Lecoq

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

And Jean - there is another trick that is similar to the old American television panel game show To Tell The Truth where three of the four panelist tried to impersonate the identity of the real character that you could use to make it appear that there is a glossary on each topic.

Of course you need to create a single glossary and make sure that Activity names auto-linking filter is turned on for the course. Then you create label that has the same text as the Glossary activity. You can even add the icon image to make the label imposter appear more like and the real Glossary activity.

So when the users click on the label imposter the Activity names auto-linking filter will automatically take them to the Single Glossary instead of having multiple glossaries in the course.

In the example below there is only ONE Glossary activity and two glossary label imposters. Can you identify which one is real. There are some subtle differences but it fools most of the users. You just need to make sure that the user know how to get back to the course.

I generally put activities that I want users to use multiple times in a general resources topic and the labels in the other topics. 

So in the spirit of To Tell The Truth will the Real Glossary please stand up.
Attachment LabelTrick.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)