Xammp installation freezes in Authentication Loop

Xammp installation freezes in Authentication Loop

by Trevor Mcpherson -
Number of replies: 13
I installed Moodle for Mac OsX on my 10.3.9 powerbook, and it loops ad infinitum at the authentication password window and generates the srwod (spinning rainbow wheel of death).

I attempted to put a used defined password in to config.php, but no luck. Any thoughts, suggestions, or magic potions readily accepted.

I also installed php 5.0.4 and the standard mysql packages.

thanks,
trev
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Trevor Mcpherson

Re: Xammp installation freezes in Authentication Loop

by Daryl Hawes -
Trevor,
I sent you a moodle message but have not heard back. I'd like to hear some more detail on the problem to see if I can help. Have you gone through the readme file directions?
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Scott Allison -
I am having the same problem as Trevor. I read the readme file and followed the directions.

I put the xammp file into the Applications directory and double clicked "Moodle4OSX" to install it. A dialog box pops up asking for my password. When I give it my password (the administrator password that I use to logon and make any changes to the system preferences) and press "OK" it won't accept it. The dialog box just pops right back up asking for a password. It doesn't even tell me that I entered an incorrect password.

If I then press "Cancel" the same thing happens (the dialog box just keeps popping up) and the only way to quit the process is to Force Quit Moodle.

I am using mac os 10.3.9 powerbook.

Is there another password I should be using? How do I find this password? Please tell me any additional detail you need to identify the problem.

Thanks a lot,

Scott
In reply to Scott Allison

by Daryl Hawes -
Interesting. Both of you are using 10.3.9.
I've only tested this with 10.4.x
I wonder if anyone is having success with 10.3.x?
The password it wants is for the user that you logged in as to your Mac OS X system. The reason it wants your password is to check for or launch if needed apache and mysql.
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Michael Penney -
I'm getting it here with 10.3.9 also:0(.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Daryl Hawes -
Unless someone else with 10.3.9 takes the Moodle4OSX source out of CVS and provides a work-around Moodle4OSX will require 10.4.2+ for the forseeable future. Sorry 10.3.9 users.

by Scott Allison -
Trevor,

Did you ever solve this problem? I see you have posted a few other messages about setting up Moodle, so it seems maybe you did solve it. How? I am still having the frozen authentication password window problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
In reply to Scott Allison

by Trevor Mcpherson -
No solution on xammp.
I'm a curious novice when it comes to programming, so I elected to leave this issue to the developers, and focus on the server based install. The other postings came out of the server install. I'm giving it a break for today.

trev

by B Davison -
I have been having the same problem with my installation. I'm using OSX10.3.9 as well. Did you ever find a solution? Actually, I'm having some problems with the installation on my pc too, although I'm used to having problems with the pc. Any tips regarding the mac instsallation would be much appreciated.

B.
In reply to B Davison

by R Hayes -
Any updates?  I am having the same issue.  I was hoping to get up and running so that I can do an introduction of moodle to students in a masters program.  I am running 10.3.9 on a Powerbook.  I will check on a PoweMac G4 running Tiger maybe tomorrow, but please if any fix let me know.
In reply to R Hayes

by Austin Kocher -
I'm having the same problem as the above folks mentioned and under the same OS and circumstances. I am eager to use this great software so I hope we can find a solution soon.
In reply to R Hayes

by R Hayes -
Ok I tested on Tiger. so this appears to be a 10.3.9 issue.  Any chance of a fix?
In reply to R Hayes

by Daryl Hawes -
OK, this is actually a problem on all versions of the OS straight through 10.4.1. The problem you're seeing is fixed in 10.4.2. I will have to change the README file for this software to note that it requires 10.4.2+ at this time.

The problem is discussed here:
http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2065.html

Daryl
In reply to Daryl Hawes

by Brad Hicks -
Any advance on a fix for 10.3.9?