The biggest project black hole were quizzes. Respondus was not going to cut it. GIFT format was not feasible. Recreating the 1000s of questions was definitely right out. Only Jean-Michel's plugin could do the job.
The big thing we had to do was validate the conversion. It was simply awesome and a total life & project saver.
11 of 12 question types were converted:
- Converted: Multiple Choice, Multiple Answer, True False, Fill in the blank, Multiple Blanks, Multiple Answers, Multiple Dropdowns/Cloze, Matching Question, Numerical, Essay Question, File Upload.
- Not Converted: Formula
The Formula/Calculated question conversion is not implemented. Workaround: Manually recreate these questions.
- Essay Question: Missing Field 'General' answer comment. Workaround: Manually fix.
- File Type: Missing field 'General Feedback'. Workaround: Manually fix.
- Canvas Question Points are not transferred. It was not identified whether this was a Canvas export problem or a plugin problem.
- Images were not imported - absolute links or relative links. Workaround: manually fix.
- Canvas XML format sometimes exports encoded HTML with line breaks. This stops the Canvas import process.
- Images can't be imported with this methodology. They have to be reinserted manually through Moodle UI or through manual hacking of XML code.
- Two quizzes were prepared which included:
- One quiz was media rich. The same media was used in every possible field.
- One quiz was without any media in any field
- Both quizzes had one question of each type
- Both quizzes used the same question, answers and distractors.
Jean-Michel's plugin was installed on a test server hosting Moodle 3.5.Both files were imported using the Canvas QTI importer plugin: https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qformat_canvas
Both QTI files were imported into separate categoriesA new quiz was created for each.The following checks were made:
- question function
- fields were checked for completeness
- formatting closely compared between Canvas and Moodle quizzes.
- comparison to original Canvas quiz.
Attached are the test files, including the original Canvas Export QTI, Results (XLSX) and the Moodle Export XML.
- CANVAS_QTI_IMPORT_UNIT_TEST.ZIP (attached to post)
- Unit Test Results log (download)
Consider not deprecating this. There are very few tools specific to Moodle that support content conversion from other LMS to Moodle. This is a cracker.
RE: Jean Michel - kudos for an elegantly programmed plug-in - thank you!