Adaptable Theme: Marketing block in the middle of the course page

Adaptable Theme: Marketing block in the middle of the course page

by Andy Smith -
Number of replies: 8

I am wondering if it is possible to place a marketing block in the middle of the course page.  What I want to do is separate the two sections in my course with an HTML block.

I am using Moodle 3.6.2. Latest version of Adaptable.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Smith

Re: Adaptable Theme: Marketing block in the middle of the course page

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Probably not because that area is controlled by the course format, in this case the 'Grid format'.  I don't think its possible for a course format to divide its area in two easily.  Even though themes can override a course format renderer and possibly get the code to pause at a point and then request that a block region be shown by the core renderer.

In any event, this is certainly not 'trivial'!  I would not be for me and I'm the developer / maintainer of the Grid format.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Andy Smith -

Actually, I think that a workaround is possible if the Grid format is used. I have just found out that there is a property called "Move section into grid". One can create four grids, then create a normal section and fill HTML in the description. Then one can proceed with adding new grids. The problem is that this property is available only for the General section, so the Grid format code has to be somehow altered...

In reply to Andy Smith

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Good luck, you're going to need it smile.

In reply to Andy Smith

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Adaptable has two regions in the course page (top and bottom) and they are created because is not possible to add a region in the middle of a course.

As Gareth said, and he knows much better than me because he's the developer of the Grid format, you will need a lot of work to add this region in the course format. Never in Adaptable because themes can't control the course format layout.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gareth J Barnard -

Strictly speaking Fernando, a theme 'can' override the course format renderer and conceptually change the structure.  However it is not trivial!

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You might find the mod_unilabel activity useful:
https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_unilabel

It allows you to add a carousel to a course using the add-activity link - it won't let you add the carousel in-between "rows" of tiles in the tiles format but might give you some other ideas on how to achieve what you are looking for.

- Maybe instead of using tiles format, you could use the topics format and each row of icons could use a unilabel activity?

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Gareth, of course a theme can override the course format,. But this is not in our plans to add a marketing blocks (that an extra code) or a region in the middle of a course page. Mainly because has no sense