Bulk Course Enrolments ... Surely there's an easy way?

Re: Bulk Course Enrolments ... Surely there's an easy way?

by Melanie Scott -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As others have stated, yes, you can do bulk upload but it isn't really that much faster than creating the cohort and adding the cohort to each course.  Cohorts are also more stable, to my mind.  Bulk uploads work but things can happen.  Upload student info in bulk only when entirely necessary...I've seen many bad things happen with bulk uploads.

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Niall Sheehan -

Our users are in an LDAP directory and we use SSO for login to Moodle. We don't bulk import users in the way you have outlined, we use cohorts. When users are manually enrolled or enrolled using cohort sync these users are not informed that they have been enrolled. There needs to be Enrollment notifications as an option per course, or as part of cohort sync or when manually enrolled. Get students enrolled isn't an issue, informing them is.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Niall Sheehan

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Interesting - we have a similar wish - we want teachers to be notified when a student is enrolled in their course. 

I would suggest you build an event monitoring notification to send this alert out, the only issue is you have to have the users subscribe to that event monitoring notification prior to the email going out. I don't think it's possible to mass/force subscribe users to the notification though. 

In reply to John Provasnik

by Niall Sheehan -

I have tested the Enrolment Plugin - Enrol Notification. It hasn't been updated in a while but seems to work with the current versions of Moodle

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=enrol_notificationeabc

Hopefully the core product will include what seems to be a basic necessity for small businesses that use Moodle for internal training.

by ISU eLearning -

Great! thanks Niall, I will give it a shot smile 

by Tyson Parker -
Niall,
We have microsoft LDAP which also needs to be used for other systems like Nextcloud, internet access, etc.... So groups used there are groups for nextcloud, for moodle, etc... I'm struggling to figure this out. We have 75+ courses and 400+ students, then the typical add drop a few weeks in with one IT resource (me). I really want this to be less painful with one place to put the changes... is that possible? Or should I abandon all hope and start uploading CSV's in all these apps and try to manage it manually...