Moodle installation via LAMP on Raspberry Pi: Apache issue

Moodle installation via LAMP on Raspberry Pi: Apache issue

by Marcus Phelan -
Number of replies: 8

I'm attempting to install a Moodle instance, version 3.5.4+ on Raspbian according to Moodle instructions

I am stuck at the following step:

========================================

Step 6: Change Apache to use Moodle as the web site.

Note that the server comes with Apache running and looking at the /var/www directory. But there is nothing in that folder, so one just gets a redirect. Edit as follows to have it point at Moodle instead:

gedit /etc/apache2/sites-available/default or

nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/default

On about line 4, change DocumentRoot "/var/www/html" to

DocumentRoot "/var/www/moodle"

On about line 10, change <Directory "/var/www/html/"> to

<Directory "/var/www/moodle/">

Around line 17, comment out the line for the default page:

# RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/

You can change other values like ServerAdmin if appropriate. For all changes, you should restart Apache for the new settings to take effect.

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart
========================================

The instructions refer to the following configuration file.

default.conf 

This file does not exist, however the file below does. 

000-default.conf 

The line changes in the instructions above are therefore not applicable to this particular configuration file. 

Any ideas how this step could be successfully completed?

Many thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Phelan

Re: Moodle installation via LAMP on Raspberry Pi: Apache issue

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the same file. It's been called 000-default.conf for ages.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ubuntu is Debian based too, so the Ubuntu instructions might work too: docs.moodle.org/36/en/Step-by-step_Installation_Guide_for_Ubuntu and are subtly different.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Marcus Phelan -

Thanks Gareth,

These instructions work and the installation can proceed, Thank you very much.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The confusion arises because in most of the standard Apache installations in Debian based Linux distributions /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf and same/default-ssl.conf are real files whereas /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf, etc. are symbolic links to the above!

Side note: If you want to put the Raspberry Pi Moodle server to production use, you'll be disappointed about its performance. (Well, don't ask too much from a board which consumes less than 10 W.) The good news is that there is a highly tuned Moodle server on Raspbian available as an SD image. Enter https://moodlebox.net/.

There were a couple of threads on moodle.org. Search for MoodleBox. For specific questions on MoodleBox its site also has a forum https://discuss.moodlebox.net/.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Marcus, have you considered using Moodlebox

https://moodlebox.net

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Marcus Phelan -

Thanks Marcus,

I looked at MoodleBox and it looks very interesting. 

I'm keen create a sandbox to have a clean instance of Moodle and upload a course from my current instance (which has some issues). Then I plan to migrate it to my hosted account.

Is it possible to easily migrate from MoodleBox or is LAMP a better alternative for this purpose?

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

> Is it possible to easily migrate from MoodleBox or is LAMP a better alternative for this purpose?

Both are equal, since MoodleBox in nothing more than a standard Moodle installation on Debian.

Nicolas

Disclaimer: I'm MoodleBox maintainer.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Nicolas Martignoni

by Marcus Phelan -

Thanks Nicolas,

I'll buy another Pi and give it a try. It seems like a very interesting project.