Moodle doesn't find my data directory either

Moodle doesn't find my data directory either

by Doug Maynard -
Number of replies: 15

I've seen some other similar threads, but I don't have any unusual circumstances that should prevent it from working except, perhaps, my ineptitude.

My installation goes well until I get to the 'locations' page. Then I get the error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

Web address

Moodle Directory

Data Directory

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I know:

• system - Linux
  • server - Apache 1.3.31
  • Apache user/group - nobody
  • Permissions on the moodledata folder = 775
  • I've tried putting moodledata (with the same results)
    • inside the moodle folder (generally a bad idea)
    • inside /home/biogca (ISP support said that shouldn't work)
    • the current location

What am I missing here?

thanks

Doug

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Maynard

Re: Moodle doesn't find my data directory either

by Doug Maynard -

Sorry folks, I see that the paths didn't make it into my initial post.

they should have read:

thanks

Doug

In reply to Doug Maynard

by Steve Hyndman -

Doug,

It looks like that should work. Just a couple of ideas from my experience....

Make sure you are entering the moodledata path correctly as you go through the set-up process...I've caused myself a lot of headach in the past by missing a slash or mistyping a character.

If that's not the problem, then you may want to change the permission on the moodledata directory to 777. What you have shoud be okay...mine works with 755, but it's worth a try. 

Steve 

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Doug Maynard -

Thanks for the suggestions. I whined to the ISP's tech support people and they finished the install successfully, but sadly never told me what the problem was. So now, I'm happier, but still confused.

Doug

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

Thanks Steve/Doug

Changed  the permissions it to 777 and I'm through that page.

Now I can't get it to recognise the moodle database I created as per instructions.

This is painfully slow, but I'm going to persevere.

Any help would be appreciated.

Daphne

In reply to Daphne Gonzalvez

by Steve Hyndman -

Are you sure you are using the correct name for your database? Most host will automatically append your account username to the front of your database name. For example, if you named the database "moodle", and your account username is "sam1", then your database name would be sam1_moodle

This same naming convention may apply to your database username.

Steve

In reply to Doug Maynard

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

Doug/Steve

I have followed your posts carefully as I can't get past the same installation problem.

Here's what I have:

Web address: http://myISP.com/moodle/

Moodle Directory: /home/jmelahvd/public_html/moodle/

Data Directory: /home/jmelahvd/moodledata

and I get the response:

The 'Data Directory' you specified could not be found or created. Either correct the path or create that directory manually.

Moodle changes the Moodle Directory to what I have given above.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thank you

Daphne

by Doug Maynard -

Sorry Daphne. All I can suggest is whining to your ISP. It worked for me, although as I said, I still don't know what the problem or solution was.

DOug

In reply to Doug Maynard

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Doug,
glad to hear your Moodle site is up and running now smile

Out of interest, did you notice whether or not the ISP changed the settings in "config.php" or modified the access right or ownership of the "moodledata" directory to get the install to complete?

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Doug Maynard

by Daphne Gonzalvez -

Thanks Doug

My ISP is not as co-operative as yours.

So I'm still in limbo ... on the installation page which won't accept my Data Directory.

I'm most discouraged.

Daphne

by Doug Maynard -

The cooperation of my ISP was pretty limited.

They wound up giving my data directory 777 permissions - which gives read/write/execute permissions to "the world" - not good.

A soon as I started trying to upload SCOs I discovered a 2M limit on HTTP uploads that they will not adjust, so now I'm trying to figure out a way to do it with FTP that will work in the moodle system ...

regards

Doug

In reply to Doug Maynard

by Jonathan Moore -
Well first option would be to find another ISP if they won't modify the settings to work correctly with your software.

A more technical fix might be to make some changes to moodle code. I noticed there are some commands in the cron.php or perhaps a file referenced from it that adjust the max memory usage and time to run. Perhaps this technique could be used to modify the upload limits as well. It would however I think require editing several files to make the changes. Perhaps give your ISP an ultimatum. Change the setting or you will find someone else to do business with.

by Doug Maynard -

The ISP guy changed the permissions for the data directory to 777. It works, but now anybody is able (if they find it) to write to that directory.

DOug

In reply to Doug Maynard

by Steve Hyndman -

Have you considered moving it outside your public_html directory to prevent people from finding it?

Steve

by Doug Maynard -

Yes, thanks. I've done it.

That was my original choice, but one of the ISP's tech supporters told me the data directory "had to be in public_html".

Another one, who changed the permissions to 777, said I could put it in my root.

Thanks for another good suggestion.

Doug

In reply to Doug Maynard

by David Milligan -
I had the same problem. I managed to solve it by disabling SeLinux.

Hope that Helps
David