Adaptable: version 1.8 released

Re: Adaptable: version 1.8 released

by Randy Foster -
Number of replies: 14

I have a constant error message that pops up any time any user lands on their dashboard page. This error is only when running adaptable theme and for all users. 

I just upgraded from moodle 3.5 to 3.6.1build 20181220.

When running 3.5 and adaptable 1.4 i was also getting the error but was hopeful an upgrade would resolve it.

i'm on PHP 7.2, MsSQL 5.6

I've tried this with the boost theme and I don't get the error.

I tried to remove all the blocks on the dashboard but still get the error.

When the error pops up, clicking anywhere on the screen clears it. No other issues seem to show up. everything works its just this error msg. see the attached image
Attachment invalidparm.JPG
In reply to Randy Foster

by Fernando Acedo -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can you test it using Clean instead Adaptable?

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Randy Foster -

Hello,

Yes I just tested with the clean them and  it works without the error for admins, teachers, and students.

Thanks

Randy

From: Fernando Acedo (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 12:27 PM
To: Randy Foster <rfoster@hbfcass.org>
Subject: Moodle in English: Re: Adaptable: version 1.8 released

Picture of Fernando Acedo

by Fernando Acedo - Saturday, January 26, 2019, 1:55 AM

Can you test it using Clean instead Adaptable?

You can reply to this via email.

In reply to Randy Foster

by Manoj Solanki -

Hi Randy,

That's  odd.  That's a  web service call that seems to have failed.  Do you definitely have no other blocks on the dashboard page?  Some blocks may still be loading on there even if not present. Also maybe just purge cache if you haven't already.

M

In reply to Manoj Solanki

by Randy Foster -

Hello,

Yes at the time I tested I deleted all deletable blocks. The only blocks left were navigation and  site administration. I have had the issue for quite a while going back to theme version 1.4 and moodle 3.4 and 3.5. I assumed it was my issue until I migrated the site to a new host last week and installed a fresh version of moodle and the 1.8 version of the theme. The error followed. I also tested on another laptop with both Windows Edge and Firefox.

From: Manoj Solanki (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 12:30 PM

Picture of Manoj Solanki

by Manoj Solanki - Saturday, January 26, 2019, 1:57 AM

Hi Randy,

That's  odd.  That's a  web service call that seems to have failed.  Do you definitely have no other blocks on the dashboard page?  Some blocks may still be loading on there even if not present. Also maybe just purge cache if you haven't already.

M

In reply to Randy Foster

by Fernando Acedo -

As Manoj said, this is a really odd bugr that never has been reported before so I guess is a problem located in the moodle installation.

In order to know what happens, please follow next steps:

1. Upgrade moodle to 3.6.2 (this is mandatory because moodle bugs in 3.6.1)

2. Provide then the moodle and Adaptable exact versions (including the release date for both)

3. Enable the moodle debugger to Developer mode

4. Verify the Apache log to find possible issues when the pop up rise

Post the results and we'll try to help you.

by Randy Foster -

Hello,

I’ve upgraded to 3.6.2+ build: 20190124  and have Adaptable 1.8 build 2019011500

This is the error messages I got after enabling debugger in developer mode:

Missing required key in single structure: year

Error code: invalidparameter

* line 332 of /lib/externallib.php: invalid_parameter_exception thrown

* line 223 of /lib/externallib.php: call to external_api::validate_parameters()

* line 59 of /lib/ajax/service.php: call to external_api::call_external_function()

I apologize but I do not know how to verify apache logs.  If the above information is still inconclusive let me know and I’ll try to figure out how to verify these logs. Are there particular logs that I should be looking for?

Thank you for helping  me.

Randy

Attachment errorcodes.JPG
In reply to Randy Foster

by Manoj Solanki -

In addition to what Fernando suggested, a couple of things:

- If you have a test server that you can replicate the issue on, you could try uninstalling and re-installing Adaptable.  There is an export settings feature in Adaptable, so you should do this BEFORE any uninstall.   Then if you install a fresh version of Adaptable, you can import these saved settings.  Briefly, the way the export / import process works, is by going to Import / Export settings under Adaptable in the navigation.  Then click Export, and select the JSON format text contained within the grey box (save it as a file).  Then to import, you paste this same text  in the "import properties" setting which is further down on the same page.  If that makes sense!

- Could you use the code inspector in Chrome or Firefox to check if there are any further javascript errors?  And make a screenshot or short video? Example of of what errors might look like (example is using Chrome).

Javscript errors example

Thanks,

M

In reply to Manoj Solanki

by Randy Foster -

Hello Manoj

I ran the site with code inspector in Chrome but it did not show any errors.

I created a brand new test site and installed a fresh install of moodle 3.6.2 with no added plugins or users or courses. I then installed the theme and did not make any customization changes.

The error did not appear so it must be some sort of incompatibility with my operational site. The operational site was just installed last week on a new server and with a fresh install of 3.6.1 and the error did appear then and still does but not with the test site.

If you might happen to have any suggestions on how to isolate potential conflicts I would really appreciate it but if not that’s okay. I’ll work my way through as best I can to see if I can isolate it.

Thanks for your help

Randy

From: Manoj Solanki (via Moodle.org) <noreply@moodle.org>
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 3:52 AM

Picture of Manoj Solanki

by Manoj Solanki - Monday, January 28, 2019, 5:10 PM

In addition to what Fernando suggested, a couple of things:

- If you have a test server that you can replicate the issue on, you could try uninstalling and re-installing Adaptable.  There is an export settings feature in Adaptable, so you should do this BEFORE any uninstall.   Then if you install a fresh version of Adaptable, you can import these saved settings.  Briefly, the way the export / import process works, is by going to Import / Export settings under Adaptable in the navigation.  Then click Export, and select the JSON format text contained within the grey box (save it as a file).  Then to import, you paste this same text  in the "import properties" setting which is further down on the same page.  If that makes sense!

- Could you use the code inspector in Chrome or Firefox to check if there are any further javascript errors?  And make a screenshot or short video? Example of of what errors might look like (example is using Chrome).

Javscript errors example

Thanks,

M

In reply to Randy Foster

by Manoj Solanki -

Hi Randy,

Not sure what else we can suggest given it's likely outside of Adaptable theme but I would just go through every external plugin you have on the current site, disable or uninstall them if possible, to see if that helps.  It could be a block, mod or other plugin type causing it.  

Although it's not recommended for production servers, there's also some debugging lines you could put in the Moodle root's config.php temporarily, as suggested here under the heading "In config.php":  https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Debugging

Thanks,

M

In reply to Randy Foster

by Fernando Acedo -

At first sight it looks like a conflict with some plugin. 

As you can see  the problem is located in the externalib of moodle. 

Only the Apache log could show much info about the problem. 

From now, this is not an Adaptable issue. Please ask your questions in the general forum  

In reply to Randy Foster

by sue dingle -

Hi Randy,

Did you ever solve this issue with adaptable?

Can you tell me can you select the calendar from the dashboard page? I believe it is missing.

Sue

In reply to sue dingle

by Randy Foster -

Hello Sue,

I have not resolved this issue yet. The calendar is not on the dashboard and I can’t add it.

Randy

(Edited by Gareth J Barnard - to remove all the eMail post information containing personal information - original submission Wednesday, 20 February 2019, 4:43 PM)

In reply to sue dingle

by Fernando Acedo -

We can't replicate this issue.

The calendar block is a default block installed by Moodle. We can remove it and add it again without any issue.

Are you using Boost, or similar, and then switching to Adaptable?

by sue dingle -

I have a working adaptable theme (copied my setting across manually) in a test Moodle (but it had no copy data in it), and yesterday was able to fix the calendar block issue. The calendar was not available from the drop down menu to start with so by setting all the dashboard builder blocks to setting 1  - the calendar then appeared in the drop down menu. I added the calendar and the error message went.   

So I then transferred the test theme over to another Moodle with a copy of our data in it, but experienced the same 'Invalid' error message, meaning that the issue is hard coded into the database.  So even if I add a new downloaded adaptable theme from Moodle.org on top of our real data Moodle the issue will still appear.  

I was upgrading from Moodle 3.1 - to Moodle 3.5  using adaptable theme.

As I have now spent to long on this issue I have decided the best action is to delay the update and use a Boost or Fordson theme. I will be building the new theme in a Moodle with a copy of the data files in it, due to what I said above.

Good Luck