Oversized emoji's in received emails

Oversized emoji's in received emails

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I saw a post like this a while ago, and since I was not having this problem I ignored it.  But now I too am having this strange "large emoji" problem, so I thought I would share this and see if others are experiencing it.

When I receive emails from forum posts, sometimes, but not always, emoji's are blown up (see graphic below.)  I checked to see if this happened to be something going on with my email client, and it doesn't see so.  I check the email on my smartphone and in my webmail mail clients, and the emoji is oversized.

However, this doesn't always happen, it seems intermittent.  Yes, weird.  It seems that this problem started occurring somewhere around Moodle 3.5.  I am running Moodle 3.6.1+ (Build: 20190111).

I will be doing more experimenting.  I tried from my MoodleCloud, and everything was fine.  I tried from my own moodle, and I am getting mixed results.  Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't know if it happens with original posts, or reply to posts.  So I will keep experimenting, but I thought I would see if others had experienced this.

I did create a Tracker bug for this, MDL-64598.

Attachment big emoji.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rick Jerz

Re: Oversized emoji's in received emails

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I noticed it on a Moodle page resource (so not just a forum) I deleted the huge smilie and added it again and it went away but I have no suggestions unfortunately. I will post on your tracker issue.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Thanks, Mary.  Yes, let's watch this one.  I am still trying to figure out exactly when it happens and when it does not.  Also, I hope to be upgrading to the latest 3.6.2 very soon and maybe this will fix the problem.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Now I know. It is the Cheshire Cat fading to smile.

...this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

`Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin,' thought Alice; `but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in my life!'

smile
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Half an answer...

Something to do with svg handling has changed in 3.6. So if an SVG image doesn't have dimensions it grows to fit the space available. 

This... MDL-46415