Accessing moodle from the internet !

Accessing moodle from the internet !

by sen alex -
Number of replies: 5

Dear All,

I just instaled the latest version of moodle 3.6+ on my linux ubuntu(16.04) and it runs just fine locally from my intranet (local LAN), but now i want to make it accessable from the internet so that our users can do their course work from wherever they are using the internet , can anybody help me how i can achieve that ???? I AM DESPERATE FOR SOLUTION HERE,

Thanks in advance,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to sen alex

Re: Accessing moodle from the internet !

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Read Masquerading

...then run Search_and_replace_tool

Some of this depends on your network/DNS setup which we don't know. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by sen alex -

Hi Howard,

tnx for the reply, to clarify my request, here is how my network looks like:

i have a normal LAN with ip subnet of class B network, 

i have local DNS, DHCP already setted up and working ,

i have A LOCAL domain by the name xyz.com and i have active directory ...

i use CISCO router to NAT to the internet and i have A public IP,

i am also using dodadddy to host my company website and i have another domain running on godaddy by the name xyz.com, i have no DNS setted up on godaddy,

all of my server have a static IP in my LAN scop and are runining windows server 2012, 

and i installed moodle in one of them after formatting and installing linux.

please let me know if these is clear enough,...tnx.

In reply to sen alex

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A couple of options - you can nat the moodle server to another external ip and then set up dns in godaddy the same way as your webserver.  Or you can use a subdomain of your existing website (e.g moodle.yoursite.com) and then create a rule on your firewall/router to route incoming requests for that url to the moodle server.

In reply to sen alex

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

I doubt whether your "normal LAN with ip subnet of class B network" faces the Internet, if you have to do https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation (NAT). Check wheter you find them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#Private_addresses.

If so, your problem is about networking, not about Moodle. Read the https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Masquerading article, which was already suggested.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by sen alex -

Dear All,

thank all who participated in this forum, i have finally managed to solve the issue by creating a DNS MX record that points to my local server and i also created an A-host in my local DNS pointing to my local server IP. 

then my moodle site is now sucessfully accessed from the internet 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)