Criteria truncated in Badge settings

Criteria truncated in Badge settings

by Doc Billingsley -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

I've noticed that there does not appear to be a way to view the full description of the criterion selected as the activity that awards a badge.  Partly this is because the activity's name is very long, but it seems that the "convenience" of truncating it for display purposes interferes with the utility of ensuring that I selected the correct activity to begin with.  At every step in the process of creating a badge and setting its criteria to be awarded, the full names of the activities are shortened (I suppose it's to avoid a linebreak?).  This continues even after the badge is created, so there's never a way to view the full name of the activity. 

For example, in my course I have students turn in an assignment.  If they score a passing grade, they are able to view a label. The label simply instructs them to "check here" to receive a badge.  The badge is set up to be awarded automatically to anyone who checks the box (i.e., students with a passing grade).  Since the full text of the label shows up as the "title" for this activity, it's impossible for me to check that the label refers to the correct assignment number (See below)

Activity completion Help with Activity completion

The following activity has to be completed:
  • "Label - Click this checkbox to receive a Badge for your pa..."
FWIW we are on Moodle 3.3 at my institution, so this may be something that has been corrected in a more recent version.  Does anyone know of a workaround to ensure that I've set my badges correctly?  I will attach screenshots showing that, as far as I can tell, the activity name is shortened at every possible step in the process of creating/managing badges. 

My workaround is to ensure that the labels are ordered immediately after their corresponding activities, and hope that the selection list is presenting them in that same order. 

Attachment 2019-01-11_11-42-40.png
Attachment 2019-01-11_11-45-17.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doc Billingsley

Re: Criteria truncated in Badge settings

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Doc!

I can't reproduce your issue in 3.3.9 using the boost and the clean themes. It's possible you've changes manually anything in your theme or in the code?

Cheers!

Sara

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

Re: Criteria truncated in Badge settings

by Doc Billingsley -

I have no idea!  I'll forward the thread to our Moodle admin folks.