Users suspended in course still have access (3.5)

Users suspended in course still have access (3.5)

Andreas Giesen -
Кількість відповідей: 7

We used to temporarily block access to courses while keeping data by setting the course-status of the user to "suspended". As I understand it, the user should not have access to the course while suspended. There is only manual enrolment and no guest access to these courses. 

Today I realized, that users who are suspended in a course still have access to that course. This is the case all over the whole platform. 

I never tested this before today, as I am not the only admin and was never confronted with this aspect, so I don't know if it ever worked on this moodle instance, but I suppose it would have shown up earlier if it had never worked. 

We are now on Moodle 3.5 branch

Edit: When setting the status to "suspended" the role "student" does not get removed. Only when setting the status to "suspended" AND manually removing the role of "student" the access to the course is blocked. That results in data being kept and having the student without any role listed in the course. 

So: 

role:student + suspended = accessible

no role + active = accessible

no role + suspended = blocked

Середня оцінка:Useful (1)
У відповідь на Andreas Giesen

Re: Users suspended in course still have access (3.5)

John Provasnik -
Фото Particularly helpful Moodlers Фото Testers

Does your student role have extra permissions that ignore the suspended status? Such as "view courses without participation?

У відповідь на John Provasnik

Andreas Giesen -

Indeed that permission was set (I did check the role-permissions yesterday, but I did not find it because I did not know the specific permission) - I wonder who did that and why.... 

Andreas Giesen -

There is still one strange thing though, and I am not sure whether it is a bug or a feature: 

There is a course with guest access where the accessibility to specific content is governed by group-membership. When students are member of a group, and their course-enrolment is suspended, they can still access the course and content of the group. Of course I would expect them to be able to access the regular content when logged in as a guest, but not to be able to access the group-content when logged into their account, as they would be suspended for - as I'd expect - all course content including group-content.

Or does the group-level permission overrule the course-level permission in this scenario?  

François Lizotte -
Фото Particularly helpful Moodlers

We have the same issue with Moodle 3.6. Suspended enrolment status doesn't seem to have any effect on the student.

I tested on https://school.demo.moodle.net (running 3.7) and had the same issue.

On https://qa.moodle.net/ (latest 3.8 today), it works as expected. 

It must be a matter of version. I didn't find anything in the tracker regarding this issue.

François

SLBC Moodle -
I'm having a very similar issue. Any word on a solution?

We're running Moodle 3.7.2, and "no role + suspended = blocked" does work... but only on some courses, and not on others.

For example: Two courses, Course A in Category A and Course B in Category B, both have self-enrollment enabled. Student "John Doe" is enrolled in both, and is both suspended and had the Student role removed. Yet Course A allows this student see course content, despite suspension and the lack of role; and Course B does exactly as expected -- the student cannot see the contents of the course.

My "instincts" tell me it's a permission issue at either the Category or Course level (my money's on Category)... but I have already done a side-by-side comparison of the permissions for the role between Course A/B, and between Category A/B, and can't find any differences. The "View Courses without Participation" is not set either...

I have a feeling it's some sneaky little "minor" thing that I forgot I did... I'm stumped!

~Rebecca M.~
SLBC Moodle Admin/Webmaster
У відповідь на SLBC Moodle

Emma Richardson -
Фото Documentation writers Фото Particularly helpful Moodlers Фото Plugin developers
Do you by chance have guest access enabled?
У відповідь на Emma Richardson

SLBC Moodle -

Yes! That's it! My goodness, I knew something as little as that would end up being the problem... I felt so silly when that fixed it. 😅 Drove me bonkers, too... and all because I forgot that just because Guest login is available on the site, doesn't mean it's set on *every* course.

Thank you!

-Rebecca