Changing layout of answers

Changing layout of answers

by Kathryn Woodhead -
Number of replies: 8

I am using version 3.6. I have a question, something like below, where students will pick an option from four different images, is there a way I can get the images next to each other in a multiple choice quiz, so that they are not in a list like this:

And rather they could be laid out like this:

Is there a plugin I can use to do this, something not too complicated?

Thanks. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathryn Woodhead

Re: Changing layout of answers

by Maria C. -

Have you tried manipulating with CSS, using flex or something? Is this just one test and just one format of questions (four pics)?

In reply to Maria C.

by Kathryn Woodhead -

Hi, It is the multiple choice quiz. I just wanted it so that students can click a picture as one of the options rather than it being a list of pictures. I am not really familiar with css so I won't be able to change it from the php files.

It will be one question in an exam, so there are different formats of questions (it's not all multiple choice)

by Maria C. -

You don't have to change any php code line. Just put some additional css rules within your theme (which one do you use?) and target that particular question in particular quiz, so the other questions would not be affected by them. You can do it by obtaining id tag from the source code of the page.

There are plenty of css solutions and variations for this, if you are capable to do these two steps from above, we can help you with more information.

For example, here I have all four images in one row, but it be can broken too into the two rows. Also, the images could be responsive or not, etc.

You can see that I hid radio buttons and showed just images that were clickable all over their area.

The first solution seems OK if it is just one question so you don't want to put much effort in it. 
I would prefer this one for uniform tests with a lot of questions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Maria C.

by Kathryn Woodhead -

Hi, I think this is a bit too complicated for me. I'll see if I can get someone to help me but will let you know if I need any more assistance, thank you.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Realize that a size-by-size layout may then not be "responsive."  From a smartphone that has a narrow width, wouldn't you want the side-by-side to automatically be converted to vertical?  What I am suggesting is that side-by-side layouts are sometimes only compatible with wider screens.  Or, it takes some (tricky) coding to make the layout be responsive.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Kathryn Woodhead -

Hi, these will be part of standardised exams that are taken on computers, so will not be on mobile smile