CSS

CSS

by Annie Price -
Number of replies: 9

Hiya

Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of what all the styles in the stylesheets affect.

Specifically I want to change the colour of the links in the side blocks but don't know which style to change.

Annie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annie Price

Re: CSS

by steven lyons -
There is no such list as far as I know. This is something that is sorely lacking.

You can use Firefox's web development extension to help you find certain id's and classes, but it won't explain everything.

to style the links, you must alter these styles (do a search through the css files and you will see them):

a:link {

}
a:visited {

}
a:hover {

}
a:active {

}

In reply to Annie Price

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Annie and Steven,

There is now a great tool for helping you make changes to your themes - Chameleon - an Interactive Moodle Theme.

Simply experiment with Chameleon until you have achieved the change you desire, then copy the CSS in the "Free Edit" tab to styles_color.css in your own theme.

I hope this helps

Attachment side_block_links_colour_change.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Tony Silva -

Hi Urs,

I couldn't find a way to download or install Chameleon.  Is it only available on your site?

In reply to Tony Silva

by Urs Hunkler -

Tony, yes for now it is only installed on this site. Because Chameleon is in Beta and we want as little confusion as possible we decided to offer Chameleon this way.

When the bugs are out there will be a download version.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by steven lyons -
Thanks Urs. Should be useful. Wish I had this in August when I was creating a custom theme for my courses.

BTW Chameleon doesn't work in Safari 2.0, the most predominant browser on the Mac. Firefox appears OK.
In reply to steven lyons

by Urs Hunkler -

Thank you for your feedback Steven.

Chameleon works on most Browsers - Opera, FF and MSIE on many systems. We couldn't try it on Safari and Conqueror yet. Can you please give a detailed description what does not work?

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by steven lyons -
Nothing happens upon shift-clicking.
In reply to steven lyons

Re: CSS and giving feedback to developers

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steven,

Did you know that it is a huge challenge to develop something in Ajax so that it works in a range of browsers and operating systems?

I know, because I have the privilege of working with Andy Walker, who programmed the Chameleon interface. Andy's browser of choice is Opera, yet he spent countless hours, often at weekends, developing and testing Chameleon in different browsers on Windows. Internet Explorer was hard work wink and additional work was required when Firefox 1.5 was released.

In order to encourage Urs and Andy to spend further time developing Chameleon, I would recommend that feedback is given in a similar way to the example below.

Dear Urs and Andy,

Thank you very much for developing the Chameleon theme. It will be of great help to me in my work. I use a Mac and have found that Chameleon works perfectly in Firefox - it's fantastic!

I assume you haven't yet been able to test Chameleon in Safari because nothing happens when you shift-click. If you are interested in developing Chameleon to make it work in Safari then I would like to volunteer to help with testing. My initial suggestions for things you could try are X, Y, Z...

In reply to Annie Price

by Tony Silva -

Annie,

If you don't have the FireFox extension, do a "View Source" and then look for the link you want to modify.  The class names usually appear before the link text (e.g. in the anchor tag).