Teacher unable to see new assignments to grade in course overview block

Teacher unable to see new assignments to grade in course overview block

by Dirk Meyer -
Number of replies: 7

Hello.

after upgrading to version 3.6 our teachers no longer have the ability to see on the dashboard if they have new assignments to grade. They now have to go into each assignment and check if anything new has been submitted. That is a huge time issue for them. I am including a screenshot from 3.5 and the link to the documentation that clearly shows what I am describing. Am I missing something?

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Course_overview

Thanks,

Dirk

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Meyer

Re: Teacher unable to see new assignments to grade in course overview block

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have the teachers set the "Remind me to grade by.. " setting in their assignments and do they have the timeline block on their dashboard? The timeline block is now separate from the course overview. You linked to the 3.5 documentation but say you have upgraded to 3.6, so the current link is here : Course overview and here is the link to the Timeline block Below is a screenshot of a teacher's timeline block where they see "Grade" for assignments:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Karen Nakaska -

timeline jan 9 2019

Our gradebooks are set to "remind me to grade by" at the exact same time the assignment is due. The new update now only shows assignments that are within a two-week window of the due date - either overdue or in the future. Due to the nature of our courses and our students, we need to be able to see whenever any assignment is submitted to any dropbox at any time throughout the course. Prior to the update we did have this ability.

My timeline suggests that I currently have assignments waiting to be marked in only four dropboxes. That is not the case. There are many assignments that were due within the first four months of the semester that are not showing up on the timeline.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dirk Meyer -

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your question.

Karen works with me and she is describing the needs of our teachers. We have settings as suggested in the documentation.  

I am linking another discussion here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=370410 that addresses the need for teachers to be notified when students submit work that is "overdue" past 2 weeks. Some of our classes are using continuous intake and deadlines are not enforced. To address this we had made some changes to the myoverview block but are not sure if this is working in 3.6

Thank you

In reply to Dirk Meyer

by Dirk Meyer -

Just a follow up on my original post.

It appears that the 'Grade' will display when an assignment is needed to be graded. On the Moodle Mobile app, I see 'Grade' also, however, on the app it shows the number of assignments needing to be graded, one in this case. That number used to be displayed in the previous timeline in the desktop browser but now it doesn't which threw me off.  Not sure how the system will handle going past 2 weeks.

Desktop

Mobile app

In reply to Dirk Meyer

by Karen Nakaska -

Thank you for continuing to work on this, Dirk. The system is not handling anything past two weeks, either in the past or the future.  It would be terrific if that could get sorted out, as we now have to check every dropbox in every course to determine if any work has been submitted, which is not a good use of instructor time.

In reply to Karen Nakaska

by Dirk Meyer -

I have set the remind me to grade by to 52 weeks as shown in the screen shot. It sounds like that is still not working but maybe its not the correct setting? Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

In reply to Dirk Meyer

by Dirk Meyer -

In 3.4/3.5 in /blocks/myoverview we modified the following files:

/templates/event-list.mustache

amd/build/event_list.min.js

amd/build/event_list_by_course.min.js

We had to hard code '-365' in various places to make it work for us. The structure of myoverview has changed in 3.6 significantly so our changes wont work any more. There is a discussion on this here also: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=370410

The 'Remind me to grade by' setting mentioned above seems to do nothing for us.