Bug in a Quiz

Bug in a Quiz

by Aditya Dubay -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I am using Moodle 3.6

If I wrote Right Password:

When I put Right Password in Quiz it ask for password in popup window and it starts quiz in in Window.

If I wrote Wrong Password:

When I put Wrong Password in Quiz it ask for password in new window again and now if I put Right Password it starts quiz.

Now the actual problem comes:

If I minimize above quiz window what I found is in my main window Pop up of quiz password is still there and if I put Right Password there then I have 2 instances of my quiz.

I dont know whom I need to resolve and if I tick one and submit other by mistake then I got ZERO marks as tick was in other window.

Please help. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Aditya Dubay

Re: Bug in a Quiz

by Aditya Dubay -

No answer from Moodle Team???

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

So your report is basically: If I do weird things in two different browser windows at the same time, then strange consequences happen. Simple answer: don't do that.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Aditya Dubay -

If system allows to do weird things that's not fault of users smile

And instead of checking and correcting moodle advise to ignore smile

(Edited by Helen Foster to remove flaming, which is not allowed according to our site policy - original submission Thursday, 14 February 2019, 8:57 AM)

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Tim has made 4354 posts since 2004 they are to the point and helpful. If something is a bug he acknowledges it, he does not gloss over. He is one of the people who has written large amounts of the code in the quiz engine. What he says in his response to your question is correct.

Just about any system will do peculiar things if you open two windows and perform contradictory activities. Give me a login to any system and with two windows open I will demonstrate unexpected behaviour.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Marcus

I am not questioning Tim's ability smile

He is handling a large project and I respect his experience.

My point is only one that if we wrote wrong password in popup of quiz password it asked again. Then we write right password and quiz started in popup. Now if student minimize that popup he saw quiz password needed in main window too so he enter right password there too. so now he has 2 instances opened  of one quiz which is confusing (You understand it or not it is confusing - May be all students are not as smart as you are smile )

What my point is if student enters wrong password in popup and then he wrote right password in popup itself then password should not needed in main window too. That's it.

Now you create a quiz, add a quiz password, appears in quiz with popup browser, wrote wrong password once, wrote right password in second chance, then minimize popup window then I hope you understand what I want to say.

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I agree that using the pop-up might lead students into confusing situations from a usability point of view, if they switch between the pop-up and the main window. However, that is a very different statement from staying that the underlying quiz/question engine has a bug.

No one if forcing you to sue the pop-up (it's probably my least-favourite feature, but I am not allowed to remove it.)

Anyway, I still struggle to see the problem: If a student is just concentrating on doing well in the quiz: the start it, type the password, concentrate on answering the questions, then submit, then there is no problem. It is only a student who messes around with things like switching windows, rather than just answering the questions, who can get confused. If students lose out by messing around, well that is not the worst thing ever.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reply.

I am not asking to change POP-UP functionality.

I want that only one instance of quiz runs at a time whether its on pop up or in main window.

There should not be two different instances.